Author Topic: antler overlay.. bow knocks  (Read 5891 times)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
antler overlay.. bow knocks
« on: March 21, 2008, 08:27:54 pm »
Hello Brothers, I am building my first selfbow, out of a stave... it is a 58 inch osage D- bow... I have her built and tillered but want to add antler tips to the knocks before I finish her out.. any help from you guys that have done this would be greatly appreciated...what glue .. length of antler.. etc.. thanks Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline John K

Re: antler overlay.. bow knocks
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 08:35:13 pm »
Mike, Have you checked the how to section ? There is a post about overlays that is good. Thats all the info i have for you since i have never done it before  :(

Good luck ! I'm sure someone will be along soon to help ya
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:45:20 pm »
Mike I've used 2 ton epoxy, gel superglue, and titebond 3 on antler overlays all have worked just fine, osage is greasy so make sure to
degrease it thoroughly, same with the antler. Modern method is acetone, primitive would be wood ash lye. Hide glue will work but its not very water resistant.
If ya use epoxy or gel super glue I usually leave the surface a little rough.  Remember to post pictures eh.  ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:06:08 pm »
Butcher, thanks for the info i will check it out..  ;D

DanaM, thanks bro, i will try the titebond , because i have some..and the acetone.. I didn't even think about the greasy wood thing ... I will post pics when i get her done .... A master bowyer from montana gave me the stave ..so i want to take my time with her and get it as right as a novice like me can... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 09:08:25 pm »
All good things  come in their own time. Looking forward to it Mike.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 10:00:34 pm »
Mike, Make both surfaces, the bow tip and antler, flat where they mate. Pre-shape the finished end of the antler before gluing so you have a smooth transition between the antler and limb. It will make stringing the bow easier and it is difficult to do the job after the antler in glued on without damaging the back ring.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 10:03:48 pm »
i wondered how you guys made them Overlays so Purdy without hurting the Bow Back!!! My Bad!!!!!   ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Slivershooter

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 11:36:05 pm »
Mike,
This is the method I use:  Like Pat said, pre-shape, and bevel the tips before putting them on.  I usually take a three or four inch stock piece of overlay material, cut it about ¾” wide, and pre-shape/bevel both ends of the stock piece on my bench belt sander (100-150 grit).  Then cut the stock piece in half and have two tip overlays.  Leaving the stock tip piece long to begin with gives you something to hold on too and helps prevent an unwanted manicure (Don't ask how I know ::) ).  Next, I very, very, very, carefully flatten the back side (mating surface) of the limb tips using the bench belt sander. 

Practice grinding a flat surface on some branches before attempting this method on your bow, when you consistently get a good mating surface go ahead and try it on the bow.  I have used files, sanding blocks, and scrapers with mixed results.  The method described above gives me a flat, smooth surface that yields a thin glue line very little time.  Also, I use CA glue and have never had a failure with it.  If you use epoxy the surface needs to be roughed up a little and the glue line will be thicker.  I have never tried using any of the Tite-Bond glues but think they would be fine.  TBIII would be my recommendation because it waterproof.  CA and TB glues work best on flat surfaces as their gap filling abilities are not as good as those of epoxy.