Author Topic: snake Skin question  (Read 997 times)

Offline legend

snake Skin question
« on: August 27, 2017, 10:33:02 am »
Hello all ,
I am asking for anyones advice . I have a nice vintage snake skin hide  (Taxidermy quality) .It is soft and supple and quite thin . Does anyone know if it will be tanned as I would like to back a bow with it ? and if it is tanned will I still have to soak it in warm water to soften it up before applying /
Thanks
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:37:20 am by legend »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: snake Skin question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 11:25:55 am »
Tanned skins don't make the best backings. They are sponge like and absorb moisture easily even if sealed. Without looking at the skin I can't tell if it is tanned or not.Raw skins, green or dried make the best backings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 07:13:41 pm »
If it's tanned, I think I'd use it for something else. Even just little accent pieces would look sweet on quivers or leather bags maybe knife sheaths. The possibilities are endless.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 01:01:14 pm »
I have a tanned skinned bow and its the prettiest skin on any bow...well two skins...I soaked them in warm dawn dishwashing liquid and water for about an hour..washed and rinsed then tacked out like a fresh skin to dry..after it dried I soak again in water to get it soft enough to apply on bow...came out great too... pattern is way more popping than a fresh skin...scales reminisce are even proud but won't come off either...bow looks amazing...now before I get crucified,,haha,,,this was applied to a glass bow...but I honestly dont see where that would affect its outcome..gut

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 01:30:31 pm »
I have a snake skin I put on a bow that is tanned as well. I don't think the issue is if it's tanned or not, it's the method in which it was tanned. If I remember right, certain tanning methods use glycerine, which doesn't bond with glue, or something like that. I tanned my snake skin years before I knew of snakeskin backing, otherwise I wouldn't have tanned it, but I know the method i used, and it didn't affect bonding.
Eric

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 02:01:57 pm »
as long as you soak in dawn it removes any glyceride for bonding purposes...this was a soft stretchy tanned timber rattler skins...after leaching and air drying they were pretty stiff... gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 03:10:24 pm »
Glycerin tanned hides are not tanned but it is a curing method. I've used glycerin tanned skins with good results after washing with Dawn to remove the glycerin.  The tanned skins that I don't like are actual tanned skins with commercial tanning solution. It actually makes leather and those skins will absorbe moisture. I backed 1 bow years ago with a true tanned skin and was not pleased at all with the results. The skin looked good but the spongy tanned skin did absorb moisture.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC