Author Topic: Russian Olive?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Russian Olive?
« on: September 03, 2017, 08:45:06 am »
I had a pretty decent tiller going on this Russian Olive bow, but it ended up underweight at my draw length so I decided to pike it. It was originally 68" ttt and I brought it down to 62. It was plenty wide, almost 2" tapering at 2/3 of the length from the fades.

From the pic you can see it failed in tension right on a knot that I had hollowed out. So, no mystery there. But, I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this wood. It is SO pretty and I've always wanted a bow from it.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Russian Olive?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 09:44:25 am »
Sorry to see that Jeff.
Once I read an article in the primitive archer about a fella making a bunch of sapling kids' bows from that russian olive.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 07:56:10 pm »
Found this one... http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=41090.0
Tell me that wood ain't pretty. (-S
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 08:23:35 pm »
Cool bow Jeff.The russian olive here is'nt that big a round for a flat bow like that.I still think it's a rather border line type bow wood but what do I know.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 10:21:17 pm »
Cut as many as you can and more if possible!!  Very invasive species and if it will make bows, all the more reason to cut more!  I don't have enough experience to comment on the bow potential, just the invasive status of the tree!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline gfugal

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 12:35:52 am »
Yeah Russian Olive is a weed tree out here in the west. But if it i a fairly decent wood then I would probably have no shortage here. People might even pay me to get it's wood. Anybody find it works good? I think you should try another one. now I'm curious.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Limbit

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 03:27:38 am »
The stuff is all over Colorado at this point and since CO is very limited in bow woods, I considered using it and felled and seasoned several logs. After doing some research and toying with the wood, it seems it needs to be made as a simple pyramid bow style and you should expect excessive set. I researched a bit into other bower's work with the wood and this was their experience. Heat treating evidently helps, but regardless, you are looking at a bulky bow with a lot of set(albeit light). Seemed to me it would be a better use of time to find usable juniper in my area. Harder to find, but well worth the search.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 12:18:57 pm »
Sorry for that break - it is nice wood indeed. But looking at the break - it is no bow wood (or it was too dry).
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 12:39:22 pm »
I haven't seen the wood, only the trees, but if it is light and has a nice grain pattern, maybe we can convince the woodcarvers that it is the next great thing in carving wood!  Sorry that bow broke, but it does look like it had a nice grain.  The whole bow from the post looked pretty nice.

Limbit, Gfugal, where are you guys located?  I'm in Loveland, CO.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Limbit

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 08:13:01 pm »
Hawk, I live in Taiwan now, but I go back every year to visit my family in Niwot. My aunt lives up in the Loveland area. Next time I am in town, let's do some juniper hunting!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 10:22:40 pm »
Sounds like a plan!  I'll have a home brew ready! 
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Halcon rojo

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 11:48:53 pm »
I live in Broomfield Colorado and the stuff is everywhere by me. The city cut a bunch of it in the open space by my house and piled it up. I pulled the longest straightest piece I could find and tried to make a bow. They all broke on me too. It's pretty wood but I gave up on it for now.  There is a fella on here named Higheagle who has done some pretty nice work with Russian Olive.
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.