Author Topic: Hackberry bow build along  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Hackberry bow build along
« on: May 29, 2017, 05:19:17 pm »
I started a hackberry bow yesterday, and thought I'd turn it into a build-along. The stave (which I forgot to take any photographs of) was acquired through eBay and the seller did a fairly sloppy job of debarking it. For that reason the bow will have to be backed, probably with rawhide. Nonetheless it was very straight and had no knots on either the back or belly. I cut the stave down to 65 inches, and laid out a long-handled pyramid bow. I roughed the bow out earlier this afternoon, leaving about 1/4 inch of extra width around my design so I can adjust its layout if the wood warps in the early stages of bending or during heat treating.

The bow will be 65 inches long tip-to-tip. It will be 2 inches wide at the widest part of the limbs, tapering down to 1/2 inches wide at the tips. I will probably glue on horn overlays, and carve in pin nocks. The handle will be 1 inch wide and will be rigid. Handle is 4 inches long, with another 4 inches for each fade to yield a nice gentle transition form handle to the widest parts of the limbs. I like this design a lot, as it pushes the bending portion of the limbs out away from the handle a bit. I plan on tillering the final 8 inches of each limb so they don't bend.

More to come...

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Hackberry bow build along
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 06:42:09 pm »
Eric....Don't back that hackberry.  Chase a ring if you have too.  I've chased a ring on a few hackberry bow with good results. Keep it wide if you can.  But I have had good success at 1.5" wide 66" long with a trapped back.  Makes a very good bow with good cast.
DBar   
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 07:32:06 pm »
That looks like a very nice piece of wood. I'll be tuned in for sure. (-P
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 09:00:00 pm »
Eric....Don't back that hackberry. Chase a ring if you have too.

I will try to chase a ring, but the last few rings below the surface are fairly thin and the early wood is vanishingly thin. Sometimes I can chase a ring on hackberry, but looking at this particular stave I'm not at all confident I'll be able to. Hence the decision to back it and not worry. I'm planning on painting on it anyway, so a rawhide backing will make a nice canvas.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 09:17:36 pm »
Proceed...with which you have the most confidence in......it will turn out just fine...... ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 06:07:46 pm »
I let the stave dry for a while until it stopped losing weight, then let it dry a little while longer. Earlier this weekend I went to work. I managed to chase a ring despite how thin the rings are, although I'll probably still back it. I also heat treated the belly, then started taking wood off the sides to get it to shape. The bow isn't to brace height yet. I'm hoping to remove a bit more wood in the next few days and get it to brace height.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 06:32:47 am »
lookin good.. hackberry loves a pyramid profile
DevilsBeachSelfbows