Author Topic: ERC ELB tiller check  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

ERC ELB tiller check
« on: May 30, 2017, 03:18:29 pm »
I decided to finally work on an ERC stave I roughed out about a year ago. I decided to put it off since while shaping with a draw knife if popped a giant splinter off that dropped the weight down from where I wanted. I also decided to see what sort of grain runout the sapwood could take. So I tried to even out the sapwood a bit so I would get about 50/50 heart and sapwood. So the back is entirely runout ignoring the grain. It's 64" between the nocks and its pulling about 38# at 27" on the tree. I left the knocks 2" long so it would be more of a Viking style. Since it might go to a coworkers son if this one makes it through shoot in comfortably and how sweet would it be to have a Viking bow to take to archery class at 10 years old. So how's it look. I think the top limb (right side) is still a bit weak. I have barely touched that side since I started tillering. Plus, should I leave it a self bow or back it with paper or rawhide. It's held up to about 40 pulls to 27" so far and I still have to shoot it in.

Thanks for input,
Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: ERC ELB tiller check
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 03:25:05 pm »
Just weighed it and it's only 368.1 grams without a string or finish.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 05:50:45 pm »
I've never used it myself but I've seen a couple of bows with 2" silk ribbon as backing. You really have to look to see it's there. I think this is one place where a backing is in order. A notorious wood in the hands of a young fella in a public place ;D

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 07:37:49 pm »
I'd back it with rawhide especially if it's for a kid. When ERC blows, it really BLOWS!

At brace the middle looks like it needs to bend more, but at full draw the tiller looks good. With the right side as the top limb I think you're good to go!  (SH)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:43:55 pm by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 07:29:12 am »
Looks good Kyle but definatley back it with something. Like he said, when ERC blows it really blows. (I speak from experience..  :-[ )

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:24:24 am »
I really like the full draw bend you have got there.  It might need just a touch more in the handle area, but hardly any.  The 10 year old is not likely to pull it to 28 inches, so it'll likely be fine at whatever his draw length turns out to be.

I'll have to second of third all those that are saying and big YES! to backing this one.  Silk would be my suggestion.  It is actually remarkably strong and it will hold the shards of ERC together when it one day blows up.

OneBow

BTW - How is your recovery going sir?  It's good to see you making bows again!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:14:37 am »
Thanks for the I put everyone. In pretty confident the kid in intending the bow for wont be able to pull to the full draw I've taken the cedar to for a good while from now. But figured it couldn't hurt to take it well over his draw length to make sure it could handle more stress than he should put it through. My hope is that he will be wanting a heavier bow long before this one wants to let go. Where would be a good place to get some white silk? I did a quick look a few times and for me it's difficult to find silk fabric.

The recovery is going well, I'm back to being able to do anything I feel like again. My ankle is essentially back to normal except for a little spur in the front and the screw head acting as a stopper that limits motion a bit. And I'm still waiting to get the lens put back in my eye. The doctor said in ready for it to go in, I've just gotta wait for a surgery day to come up. Right now he's pretty confident in getting good sight back without a cornea transplant. As long as the scar is out of the way enough to not distort too much of my vision. We will find out once the lens is put in, the last stitch is removed and everything settled down for a few more weeks.

Kyle

Offline loon

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 07:19:27 am »
Just weighed it and it's only 368.1 grams without a string or finish.

Kyle

From the mass principle from TBB4, you'd need 312g? (64" 28" bendy is 13oz, subtract 2oz for 10lb below 50#...) So that's nice, better slightly overbuilt? Really cool bow

Good luck, hope all goes well

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 12:47:40 pm »
I ended up gluing in some rawhide for tip overlays/pads to keep the string from cutting through. Which I made with 6 strands of D97 with te loops padded with b50 up to 14 strands. Then I got the tips cleaned up to 1/2" wide. I got a couple dozen shots through it and it surprised me what it does with a 600gr arrow. And seems pretty quick with a 400 gr arrow. With no noise or vibration of any kind. No chrono speeds though. I'll go for putting about 100 arrows through it before I put a silk backing on it.

Kyle

Offline loon

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 03:50:15 am »
Very cool!