Author Topic: Rawhide and the dreaded 'tic'  (Read 960 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

Rawhide and the dreaded 'tic'
« on: July 09, 2017, 09:12:30 pm »
I'm working on a HHB bendy handle bow and due to knots, etc, I backed her with rawhide.  Not sure why, but while backing her, I put a coat or two of hide glue on the back of the hide as well   Now, as I'm doing the final tiller, I got a couple of tics as I pull towards full draw.  Looks like the glue layer on the back of the rawhide cracked across the bow, in a few spots, but it does not seem like the crack goes thru the hide itself nor does it seem to be in the sides or belly of the wood.  Not sure what to do?  Anyone ever have this?  Can I just reheat the glue and let it flow back together.  Not sure I can do that.  I could use water and clean the glue off the back, but what then of the hide?  Add more glue does not seem like it will solve the problem of too much in the first place. 

Since I plan to snake skin back this bow, I guess I could leave it as it, as long as I know the bow is not gonna blow.  So far, 50 or arrows have been shot.  Still getting tics, but no obvious damage except for the glue. 

Anyone care to offer some advice?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Rawhide and the dreaded 'tic'
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 10:32:35 pm »
Just my 2 cents here but I would lightly sand that glue off of the rawhide.Keep shooting it in.See if it holds together.Then put your snake skin on.I'd use titebond 3 too then.
Could be your glue was a little thick or you gave it too many thin coats on the back with the rawhide soaking it up a bunch.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline steve b.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 11:31:45 pm »
So you put hided glue on the outside of the rawhide?  If so, I would just take it off.  My experience with, 'ticks', is that you here a couple and then the bow breaks.  I haven't had one where the tick just repeats for awhile and then eventually breaks.  So I'm guessing your ticks are not wood breaking but cracks in glue or bubbles that are just material flexing against each other. 
You can always reheat hide glue.  I use a dowel of hardwood or like a butter knife handle to work the glue out from under the rawhide--diagonally, as you do with grout over tiles, first this way, and then the other. 

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:35:17 am »
Russ use a clothes iron on the area.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 10:36:42 am »
I agree, Beadman, that the hide glue on the back was too thick.  I was just trying to get the hide to fully soak in the glue, but I guess I got carried away. 

Steve - I think the glue that is cracking is the glue on the outside, not the glue between the hide and the bow.  If I heat the glue on the outside, I am worried I might "cook" the hide. 

Jon - - assuming my wife does not catch me in the shop with her iron - I am worried about cooking the hide.  Do you think I am being overly worried on this score?

I thought maybe just some warm water and a rag would take the glue off the back of hide?  Does TB stick to hide glue?  Probably, everything stick to hide glue, huh? 

Shooting the snot out of her before skinning is obviously in order. 

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 10:53:30 am »
Russ I have done it many times. You just locally re-liquify the glue and rub it smooth. Eezy peezy.

You can also do this if you have a bubble or an edge lift or any number of things