Author Topic: Recurve/siyah vibration  (Read 1708 times)

Offline DC

Recurve/siyah vibration
« on: May 16, 2017, 12:39:43 pm »
I'm tillering this bow and when the string lifts off I feel a slight vibration. I thought it was alignment but I've got that pretty good. I can't see the string move sideways. I can't determine which end is causing it. Is it possible that the string wax is sticking the string down and that's what I'm feeling?

Offline PatM

Re: Recurve/siyah vibration
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 12:44:07 pm »
Are you drawing by hand?  Make sure you're not rolling the string if you are.

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:42:09 pm »
Maybe it's when the string hits the 'string bridge'?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 10:26:12 pm »
Throw something like paper towel where the string makes contact to see if the string
is in fact sticking to the bow. Fresh strings can stick to recurves a bit, and any noise or
creak is always unsettling until you figure out the cause

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 11:04:18 pm »
I turned off my tunes and put the bow on the tree. I could hear the pluck noise when the string lifted off. I did manage to determine that it was just one limb. I recontured the "bridge" and the noise went away. So either there was a lump or cleaning the wax off helped. I think there is a minor string misalignment that I can straighten out when I thin the tips. If it come back it will be wax buildup.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 03:00:22 am »
Often get clicking on and around nocks. Rub a load of chalk all over the nock (and bridge) and you'll see where the string moves and swings up the nock as you draw. All surfaces need to be smooth as glass to avoid the dreaded creaking... unless of course this is a movie bow ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 06:48:42 am »
It is probably the serving of the loop rubbing against the sides, the look kinda sharp. Try to round them off a bit and see if that helps.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 07:20:21 am »
It is probably the serving of the loop rubbing against the sides, the look kinda sharp. Try to round them off a bit and see if that helps.
I see  neither loop nor serving or even nock in that pic.