Author Topic: Allegheny Viburnum  (Read 1854 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Allegheny Viburnum
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:29:12 pm »
Many years ago when I knew little about bow making I used to try out different woods, not knowing if they'd be any good or not. I recently remember making one from Allegheny Viburnum and that it seemed really good at the time. I just did an SG test with some and it came out between .8 and .9

Anyone ever tried this stuff?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Allegheny Viburnum
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:55:08 pm »
I've used viburnum for arrow shafts but not bows. We have black haw here and it gets up to about 2" to 3" in diameter. Maybe I'll cut some to start drying. With shafting you don't want to remove the bark too quickly because it checks easily so I guess bow stave size will also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Allegheny Viburnum
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 05:06:09 pm »
Well, I roughed out a bow from a 2" diameter stave 2 days ago and no checking yet. It's got a lot of natural bend and normally I'd call it reflex, but I thought I'd try to set back the handle, which would result in the majority of the working limbs having some gentle deflex, then put static recurves on the tips, rendering it a 5 curve. Never tried this before. Let you know how it turns out.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb