Author Topic: Greenhorn With First Time Project  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Runs With Fire

Greenhorn With First Time Project
« on: May 08, 2017, 09:19:30 am »
Howdy to ya all.  This here is quite the nifty forum.  Kinda reminds me of going over to the campfire all the old timers are sitting round just to hear the stories.  There certainly is alot of handy information  here.
  I have just strung up my first homemade piece.  A basic maple sapling longbow.  The bow is sixty six inches end to end. About twenty seven pounds at twenty eight inches.  I put a slight recurve in the last ten inches of each limb. The grip, even thickness and diameter, eight inches either side of the center and tapered two inches to the limb thickness. I reckon the grip section will need to be changed in the future as it seems to me that a shorter grip section would allow a more simple and less agressive bend in the wood, as well as engaging more wood in the limb. 
       I still have to even the limbs a tich.  I am going to fabricate an "bow drawing jig" with a 2x4 and a rachet strap for that purpose.  I have a dozen more maples debarked  and drying as well as a hawthorn trunk I just sawed lengthwise for future projects.

May your troubles be like the smoke of so many fires, though your vision is clouded for a day, the spirit of the air carry them to the sea of yesterday where no canoe may enter.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Greenhorn With First Time Project
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 09:30:11 am »
Welcome to PA. Runs With Fire. Pretty good site here, young and old, newbies and longtimers.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 11:35:46 am »
Good to have you on board...
But there's an unwritten law... it didn't happen unless there are pictures  ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 09:37:47 pm »
Welcome to PA!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:55:13 pm »
Welcome to the PA

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 09:57:17 pm »
Pick - chures,  Pic - chures,  Pic - chures!  (-P

Welcome to the best site on the net.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 10:12:05 pm »
Pick - chures,  Pic - chures,  Pic - chures!  (-P

Welcome to the best site on the net.

What he said.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857