Author Topic: Heat treat or set back first...  (Read 1208 times)

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

Heat treat or set back first...
« on: March 29, 2017, 04:59:41 pm »
I have a 41" Sioux style shortie on the go. It's ash and looks okay at the moment but I want to heat treat the belly the try to stop any serious set and introduce some setback in the handle (with steam) to get the classic gull wing shape.

1 won't be sinew backing

I may be overthinking this but which should I do first the dry heat or the steam bending?

What's the conventional wisdom or won't it really matter?

Cheers

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Heat treat or set back first...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:50:22 pm »
I don't have any exsperience with your design  but have some steam bending & heat treating I always do the steam work first & let it acclimate for a couple of weeks & put the bow back on the caul to heat temper it's probably best to use a caul if you reheat the wood after steaming it will try to return to its original shape  :NN
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:22:34 pm »
If you steam the bow first you should wait for it to dry again completely before heat treating it or you might cause checking.
 What I would do is use a form to shape the bow and heat treat it as I clamp it to the form.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:48:43 pm »
What draw weight and length are you shooting for?
Northern Ute

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 11:58:43 pm »
If you use steam to bend the handle area seal it well with shellac. Shellac can take the heat and resists moisture.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 01:13:55 pm »
 I'm going for 40-45# at 2O".

Looks like steam the handle area first is the way forward. I'll will eventually get a few bending and recurving forms made but that will be when I can get on a bandsaw.

I'll leave it after steam to dry out a bit and hope that that belly heat treat also tempers the handle set back at the same time.

Thanks for the advice guys, really helped.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 01:48:46 pm »
It wouldn't be unreasonable to achieve the set back with dry heat.