Author Topic: Tree identification  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Limbwalker

Re: Tree identification
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 03:11:11 am »
looks like Silver Maple. It's possible it could be Sugar Maple too (like Upstate said), but check out Silver Maple. Unfortunately Silver Maples are pretty weak, it may be the weakest Maple in North America. I've seen Sugar Maples with flakey bark, usually more furrowed, darker and black staining. Another give away is the way it has codominate liters(main trunks); splitting off into two or more big sections. Which is unlike Sugar Maple. Also look at the buds if you can, The budding action in your pics also shows Silver M. It screams Silver to me.

Below, the first two pics are of Silver maple bark. The last picture is Sugar Maple with two variations of how the bark can be on those. From the pics you posted not only does the bark look like Silver Maple, the way it has grown is very typical for Silver Maples. Sugar Maples don't grow like that, Maybe once in a while, but I've never seen or heard of it.
Take care,
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:26:29 am by Limbwalker »

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 05:15:25 am »
Thanks guys. Apparently, all of you agree it's probably a maple of some sort. I guess I'll harvest the smaller trunk to see how it'll turn out. Maybe I'll try backing it with something.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 08:51:49 am »
Wait a few more weeks before you harvest any trees so you can be sure the bark will slip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 10:06:39 am »
It does look more like silver  maple.