Author Topic: steaming osage  (Read 2936 times)

Offline rkeltner

steaming osage
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:56:12 pm »
i've been working on an osage bow lately (one of 3 or 4 in process!?!) and i've got some tip alignment issues. i've tried steaming and clamping, b ut don't seem to be getting any changes in tip location! what gives? (this is the first time i've tried to steam bend anything, and this is my first osage, so, i'm a babe in the woods twice over!!!)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: steaming osage
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:03:20 pm »
Osage usually bends like butter-maybe you didn't steam it long enough. What kind of setup are you using and how long did you steam it?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 04:06:11 pm »
Yep, it turns into rubber. Well almost ;D. I've only tried it three or four times, steamed for about 45 minutes - don't know if that much time is necessary.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 04:54:07 pm »
12" stew pot on the kitchen stove, aluminum 'steam tent', 20 to 30 mins. steam time, (yeah, i know, that sounds like the problem, not enough time in the steam!). i'm going to try again, this leaving the steam going for 45 to 60 mins.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 01:06:47 am »
The wood has to be heated all the way through and then it bends easily. If you are using dried wood, dry heat is a better option. You may get drying checks as it dries otherwise. You can seal the area to be steamed with shellac to prevent the moisture from entering the wood.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:40:30 am »
I might would opt at this point for dry heat to tweak those tips. If you keep steaming it, it removes moisture from the wood and can start getting checks. We usually use dry heat anyway for small movements like tweaking tips.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...