Author Topic: Ist backed bow attempt. How am I doing?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Red Dwarf

Ist backed bow attempt. How am I doing?
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:27:08 pm »
 ???

I have just removed my 1st attempt at a backed bow from the cawl.
It is a hickory backed elm board, 62" ntn, 1 1/2" wide for 1st 4" and then tapers to 3/4" tips at present.
It had 1/4" of deflex before the backing was applied, but came off of the cawl with 5/8 of reflex.
I have floor tillered as per Dean's facet method and have just tried it on a long string: it currently pulls 30# @ 6" on this long string.
Its mass is 18 oz and the reflex has increased by almost 1/8" with the removal of belly wood.
I am searching for 45# @ 26" but  am concerned that I may not have enough mass.
The board feels really "lively" in its present state.

I am feeling a little nervous on this one and would appreciate some guidance from you experienced guys.

Red Dwarf
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 09:50:57 pm by Red Dwarf »

Offline Red Dwarf

Re: Hickory backed Elm. How am I doing so far?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:13:19 pm »
Here it is pulling 42# @ 10 of pull on a long string.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 09:52:40 pm by Red Dwarf »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Ist backed bow attempt. How am I doing?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:00:09 pm »
Lots of weight left in that wood.  Try getting righty bending like lefty and you will be close to brace.  You could remove a little bit from the outer limbs also, but I would work on getting them bending the same first.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Ist backed bow attempt. How am I doing?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 10:21:15 pm »
Lookin dandy to me ;D. Now that I focus, that right is a tad stiffer than the left - man that was hard to see. Thinking about making me one of those back boards to really fine tune a tiller. That is looking great though - really!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.