Author Topic: Degreasing back sinew?  (Read 3152 times)

Offline LeightonM

Re: Degreasing back sinew?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 01:46:07 pm »
I'm liking this thread. We are butchering a beef and I'm saving the back sinew and its really fatty, so this info is on point for me. :OK

Offline DuBois

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 02:38:05 pm »
Yep, I process the sinew and then I wash the back just like Pat said, then I wash all the sinew in bundles pre sorted for amount and length that I also separate for each limb on separate boards after washed and rinsed.

One thing I have started doing is getting a pot of hot water by my glue pot and I dip each bundle in the hot water and ring it out good before it goes in the glue. I think it helps to warm up the wet sinew before hitting the glue and helps keep the glue pot from cooling off too quick. After a few bundles of cold wet stuff it was loosing heat quickly.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 02:47:18 pm »
I used back sinew on 2 bows and really like how it turned out. I get a lot smoother application with back sinew then leg sinew.
 LeightonM, On my last 2 sinew backed bows I use cow leg sinew and I liked it better than any other I've used. I got it already cleaned and shredded so I liked that part best of all. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 03:40:20 am »
If taken to the same diameter leg is softer than back.
To degrease acetone is the business ;) but I guess any strong enough alkali will do the job.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 07:36:05 am »
Makes sense, has anyone tried using acetone on sinew?

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 08:27:34 am »
Charles Grayson recommended acetone. You don't need to mess with toxic solvents and worry about exposure and discarding it.  Just use the strong soap.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 08:33:54 am »
Sounds good, thanks guys