Author Topic: Birch bark back?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline SMeeres3030

Birch bark back?
« on: February 20, 2017, 08:20:37 pm »
Hi guys I have an Osage I am just finishing up 66" non and 54#@28". I want to put birch Barack on back for some nice camadlouge. I have never used birch Barclay so any advise would be much appriciated! Glues? Where on back to splice? Where not to? Method of clamping for glue up? Thanks guys

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Birch bark back?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 10:31:00 pm »
Do it just like a snake skin or rawhide with TB glue. Birch bark is pretty bright for a camo isn't it? It will make for a nice looking bow, though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 10:45:45 pm »
Like Pat said, TB works fine. For a seamless look I cut the ends of each strip in a spot where there is only white. In other words I avoid cutting through one of the dark striped pores on the bark. I also do one section at a time.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline SMeeres3030

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 11:41:02 pm »
Ok thanks guys so don't do all the strips at ounce? Should I let them dry one at a time as well? And where in the back should I be splicing them? Because I'll problem have 3 trips.

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 01:03:45 am »
it'd be great to have a bunch of links with info on birch bark for bow backing, I'd love to use it one day

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 02:51:16 am »
Yes you can do it all at once. I prefer hide glue. You can then apply them like veneers. Loon - it is pretty easy, a computer isn't going to help you much! Just try.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 07:51:23 am »
Been quite a few years since I have done one but I usually use bark from a tree large enough that it will do one limb from handle to tip, the bark can be peeled down to a very thin strip.  As to glue, practically anything will work but TB3 works well. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 08:40:54 am »
Yes a few of us have tried epoxy with mixed results.The epoxy needs to be reduced very thin to avoid any cracks appearing later on the back later from flexing.Tite Bond 3 worked the best for me in the end.I can see how hide glue would work good though too.Doing one limb then the other all within an hour I'd say.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline SMeeres3030

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 08:58:36 am »
Ok thanks guys I'll keep u posted. I had some bark drying for awhile and it has curled on me a bit? Any tricks to get that out? Heat? Steam?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 09:00:46 am »
Just a soaking in some warm water is all I do.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 12:25:45 am »
As already said, soak in water, glue with titebond and I wrap with an ace bandage just long enough for the glue to start setting (maybe 1 hour).
Also you can dye or stain the back after it all drys for a darker look and better camo if desired. Heres a pic of one I recently finished with dye, birch bark on osage.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 06:27:58 am »
Looks like a nice bow Greg