Author Topic: CA heads up  (Read 1120 times)

Offline DC

CA heads up
« on: February 22, 2017, 11:46:44 am »
When I was straightening the tips on my recurve I put the tips in a plastic bag to steam it and after 20 mins the tips fell off. They were glued with thick CA. So CA releases something less than 212 degrees. Maybe you knew that :D maybe you didn't ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: CA heads up
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 12:15:34 pm »
Decorations should always be the last thing you do on a bow so you don't have a situation like this. You don't even need shaped handle area or tips while tillering a bow. In most cases both of those areas are nonworking anyway.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 12:16:17 pm »
Loc tite Pro wont release under steam. I've tried it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 12:26:28 pm »
Decorations should always be the last thing you do on a bow so you don't have a situation like this. You don't even need shaped handle area or tips while tillering a bow. In most cases both of those areas are nonworking anyway.

He was reworking a finished bow.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 12:29:35 pm »
Pat- I am recycling an old bow. that's why it had the tips on it.

PD-  That's interesting. I would have thought that CA was CA. These didn't take any coaxing at all. I found them in the bag. I'll do some Googling

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 12:30:44 pm »
I may have gotten lucky, that's happened a few times in my life.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 12:46:02 pm »
Loctite Pro tech data sheet says it releases at 180f so, yeah, maybe you got lucky. Mine was right in the path of the steamer for 20 min. There are different kinds of CA but I didn't look that hard.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 02:17:53 pm »
I've steamed recurves onto laminated bows glued together with smooth on before with no delamination.Those are stiff areas though.I hav'nt tried it on the working part of the limbs.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed