Author Topic: Guava bows???  (Read 2835 times)

Offline lowell

Guava bows???
« on: March 16, 2008, 11:59:01 pm »
Was thinking today about the guava I got from Manny a while back.  Thought I would wait till summer before I tried making a bow from it.

Was wondering if anyone has made a bow from what they got from Manny and would like to see what they made!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Keenan

Re: Guava bows???
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:27:31 am »
 Lowell,  Not yet, Mine is still on the "Premium, save for special accassion" shelf.  Only because I haven't been up to par enough to do that one justice. Still trying to get the body back in condition and still nursing a torn rotator cuff in the shoulder.  I'm wanting to do something really special with that bow and still planning it out... ::) ::) for the last two years ::)   Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:58:48 am »
I've not done anything with the 2 staves I got from Manny. One in a very snaky stave and the other is a regular guava stave. Keenan, at least you have some legitimate excuses. I have no excuse except "just cause!"  ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 02:36:27 am »
  Pat you have a much better excuses then me ;D ;D your older, more hair has slipped from the top and run out on your chin, you sometimes get mistaken for Abe Lincoln, Bigfoot,and that shamrock guy. Heck with all your personalities I wonder how you have time to even post on this board. :D :D >:D   Keenan

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 09:34:54 am »
The southern community bow project was guava...you can check that one out if you haven't already. Turned out great!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 09:41:48 am »
The one we tillered for the Southern project bow was great to work with.Very
beautiful wood and seemed to work like most others.Good luck and keep us posted. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 01:57:22 pm »
I made two adult size bows, 70" 67#@30" longbow which I sold, 64" 47@29" pyramid style with a built up riser which I traded for a band saw. I made a third from a splinter for my 6 year old son.

Tempers and bends well with dry heat, performs best in dry air like most tension woods do, and  gets a little sluggish in humidity like tension woods do...

Rich-

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:16:45 pm »
I have got a snakey stave that I need to get going, always seem too buzy to build a bow, barley time to shoot a little here and there. Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell