Author Topic: My first bow (red oak BB)  (Read 2991 times)

Offline MulchMaker

Re: My first bow (red oak BB)
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 07:08:03 am »
Wow nice bow man!

Offline freke

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 12:09:46 pm »
Nice bow:) How dose your primitive bow shoot?

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 12:57:16 pm »
Thanks for the kind words everyone... Definitely made plenty of mistakes along the way and it took forever...  It shot nice the whole 3 arrows I shot so far LOL.  Gonna sand it and then shoot some more tomorrow hopefully. Need to build my strung jig next and make a proper string.

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 12:59:48 pm »
Silk backed it...any ideas how I can de-ugly it?

Offline dirthas

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 08:26:03 pm »
At least your silk backing is a lot less "ugly" than the drywall tape that I used for my first. I wonder how many bows that red oak build along over at poorfolkbows has inspired?

I backed a bow with muslin and spray painted the muslin black. I used painters tape down the sides of the limbs and handle to keep the spray off the exposed wood. After spraying a coat or two and taking off the tape I sanded the uneven edges of the paint off. It wasn't too pretty but better than it started.

Congrats on your first bow, I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from shooting it! Full draw pic looks great.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 09:03:13 am »
Excellent! I used to paint my silk backed bows. Silk takes paint well. Once installed I'd paint the backing black and then paint on some designs. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 09:17:14 am »
Very nice first bow, shoot and enjoy, nothing like your first shooter. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 09:26:36 am »
I like the look kinda natural camo !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 02:09:58 pm »
Here is the essentially finished product. I can't get the paracord string to stop slipping so I've only shot like 5 arrows. The low brace height of the string makes for a very painful slap for sure.  Made my string jig yesterday gonna get to making a Dacron string for it. Still gotta get serving string though.  Now that it's done I'm certain it will break next time I shoot it, right? 

Thanks again for all the compliments and encouragement, I certainly could not have done it without reading many of the posts and threads written by the same people. Thanks for sharing the knowledge and skills you guys have.

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 02:22:13 pm »
I really like the handle, it's very nice. The arrow pass scares me though, but then arrow passes scare me :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 03:44:37 pm »
Love the heck outa that grip!  Congrats on a shooting bow! 

Can't wait to see the next one from you.  You do understand you can't stop with one, right?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 04:14:02 pm »
It's great to see someone's first, congratulations.  Sam Harper's video's was my first exposure 8 years ago, also.  Fun to see someone still rolling with that.  I wonder how many people's first exposure are from those videos...
My first was drywall taped and poorly tillered.  Well done...build a string jig and do another!
1’—>1’

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 06:38:51 pm »
It's great to see someone's first, congratulations.  Sam Harper's video's was my first exposure 8 years ago, also.  Fun to see someone still rolling with that.  I wonder how many people's first exposure are from those videos...
My first was drywall taped and poorly tillered.  Well done...build a string jig and do another!

My second one just started today. Maple pyramid style board bow.  Since I really have no clue what dimensions make sense for what reasons, I'm making it 72" long and .5 wide at the tips. Will back it with something, maybe linen this time. I really need to take some time to read more though many basic aspects of this are still very foggy or outright unknown to me.

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 09:10:32 pm »
Beautiful! Good bow and love the ERC. If I had a plain silk back I would probably paint it with a cool design. Just one idea though.
Best Regards,

Andrew