Author Topic: To treat or not to treat?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

To treat or not to treat?
« on: January 28, 2017, 07:16:03 pm »
Okay, check this... I've got a 50" HHB bow pulling close to 70# at 25" (a remarkable piece of timber). It's taken about 3/4" of set. I expected this because I'm asking so much of the wood. I like the heavy draw weight, cause it's launching arrows like a bat out of &^%$. Anyway, if it were you, would you try to heat treat the set out of it, or leave it as is? Thanks guys.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline gfugal

Re: To treat or not to treat?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 07:49:21 pm »
The set was caused by internal damage to the wood (cell walls collapsing etc). Heat treating may straighten the set but won't get rid of the damage. Once it happens it's there for good. If it shoots good anyway no need to waste your time. It will go back to where its now anyway.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 08:00:22 pm »
The set was caused by internal damage to the wood (cell walls collapsing etc). Heat treating may straighten the set but won't get rid of the damage. Once it happens it's there for good. If it shoots good anyway no need to waste your time. It will go back to where its now anyway.

That's kinda what I figured, but I thought it might be interesting to hear people's thoughts.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 10:21:14 pm »
I'd leave it be. 3/4" of set ain't bad at all.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 03:37:33 am »
I'd leave it be. 3/4" of set ain't bad at all.
+1
And +1 to the other comments too.
I'd be interested to know how it shoots as a flight bow!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 07:26:29 am »
I can't give you cool technical advice on this, but you said what would I do. It sounds like you are happy with the results so far. I'd say maybe more than a little happy too. If it were me I'd  Polish it up do any finish work you have left to do and take lots of pictures of it and post them on P.A.
This reminds me of the point when I am flintknapping a large spear point that looks amazing and is super functional and I say to myself "I'm gonna pressure flake the only flaw left in this magnificent spear point" and then snap! I've got two bird points.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 12:46:54 pm »
3/4" ain't no set to worry about in a bow that heavy, that short.

If you heat treat it, as short as it is, you're gonna gain a lot of weight, and who knows what's next?  Then you have to re-tiller and kill it?  Or, at 77 lbs now, the back finds a pin or a swirl and lifts a sliver at the corner? 

Keep it.  It want's to be a bow.