Author Topic: Another bend check please?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Another bend check please?
« on: January 17, 2017, 05:37:01 pm »
 Hi guys, hope you don't mind telling me what you think of the tiller so far on this one.

It's sinew backed mulberry w/ a slight deflex/recurve profile. 50" ntn. Feels like it's pulling a little over 40# at about 23"

There's a funky wiggle thing going on towards the end of the top limb and this is the first bow I've made with this particular profile so I'm a little foggy on what the braced and drawn pics should look like.

Should the mid-to-outer limbs be bending a little more? Does it bend too much in the handle?

I don't want to take off much more wood if I don't have to and if I do I want it to be in the right place(s). Thanks!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

Re: Another bend check please?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:05:04 pm »
I'm thinking that you took a little much off the waggly area. It's hard to say but looking at the braced pic and comparing it to the full draw I think there should be more waggle in that spot. How much more do you want to draw it? My gut feeling is if you want more draw length to work the bottom limb a bit in the area just below your hand. And then everywhere except the waggly bit. See how that compares with others opinions ;D ;D ;D

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 06:18:02 pm »
Thanks DC. I can probably get the 27" of draw length without taking anything off and the bow would pull about 50# which would be ideal. If I don't have to take anything off to adjust the bend I don't want to.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 06:24:36 pm »
I'd leave it unless something starts to happen in the next inch or so.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 07:16:30 pm »
It's pulling 54# at 27" and the tiller still looks decent. I think I'll leave it unless one of you guys can convince me otherwise.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 07:22:13 pm »
Looks good to me.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 07:27:23 pm »
It looks pretty good at 23". Seems you are getting a better grasp of the tillering game!