Author Topic: Ipe question  (Read 2915 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Ipe question
« on: March 26, 2008, 11:58:29 pm »
I have some left over Ipe decking from a job.  It's 1x6 (actual 3/4"thickness).  Is this thick enough for a bow?  Also what should I look for as far as a suitable piece for a bow?  Lastly how wide should I rip it? 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ipe question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 12:56:52 am »
Ipe likes a narrow, deepish cross section. One inch wide will do the trick. It really depends on the style and length of bow you want to build. I made a hickory backed ipe flatbow a few years ago(my first try with ipe). I think it was 64" long, 55#@26", 1 3/4 wide at the fades and the 1/8" hickory backing was thicker than the ipe belly. The bow shot well.    Another try was 1" wide x 66" long, hickory backed ipe with a straight taper to 3/8" tips.I never got to weigh this one because of a severe fret just above the handle. I was trying to get it to bend right at the handle and strained it too much, I guess...anyway it would have been a real screamer. ;D
   Like osage, it doesn't take much ipe to make a hunting weight bow.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:15:44 am »
Plenty of wood for at least 4-5 bows.  For lateral stability it is nice to have 1 1/8" wide, but I would go no wider.  I made a 65# bow from a 69" 3/4"X3/4" board. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5313.0.html
It is amazingly strong in compression so you can back it with a little thicker backing than usual.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 07:32:40 am »
Thanks for the info guys.
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 09:58:10 am »
Don't listen to them rick ipe is horrible so I will be nice and take it offin yer hands ok ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:48:33 pm »
Super Yooper I like the name change Dana.  I wasn't gonna make a Ipe bow myself.  I hate working with the stuff when I have to,  let alone for fun. ;D.  But I'm gonna bring some rippings to Tn. I'll be glad to hook you up with some.
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 10:00:04 pm »
 8) 8) 8) Can't buy it up here heck the lumber places think yer talking russian if ya ask  :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI