Author Topic: Need advice!!! Want to make a bow  (Read 3869 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Re: Need advice!!! Want to make a bow
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 02:44:51 pm »
Checked the thread and pics, it looks like a willow of some sort   If I remember correctly, "river birch" has a more rounded leak, but grows in and near water.  Guess we wait until spring and check the leaves and flowers :) or take a shoot to the Extension Service.   I know willow can be pretty strong, a lot of uses such as back rests, sweat lodge frames, and baskets. 
Hawkdancer

If you figure it out, please, let me know. I would like to harvest some raw arrow shafts.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 01:02:00 am »
Did a bit more reading (research?)  River birch (betula occidental is?) is somewhat native to Colorado, does have more rounded  leaves! Red bark and a more or less riparian habitat.  So, it is off to the woods as soon as the snow melts :)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Gordon

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 01:36:50 am »
The wood of just about any fruit or nut bearing tree will make a good bow - apple, plum, hazelnut, walnut, service berry, etc. Find yourself a nice straight sapling and make yourself a simple bend through the handle bow.
Gordon