Author Topic: Problems bending wood!  (Read 6519 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Problems bending wood!
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 11:20:14 am »
Yes, too thick. What little bending I do, is done after floor and long string tillering. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 01:10:35 pm »
Bending wood without knowing how the wood is responding (in a clamp, for example) has not worked very well for me either.  After the last few months of learning to bend wood, my best results have been when I've bent wood over my knee or between two supports (like two small trees side by side).  I need to "feel" when (or if) the wood is bending easily before I push the limits of the wood.  I also found that bending in stages sometimes works better than bending all at once.

The secret the pro's use (to bend windsor chair backs, for example) is to use a steel strap (on the tension side) so that the wood only deforms in compression.  Since you can't use a steel strap with most bow designs, just make sure that there is plenty of wood on the tension side while bending.  In other words, if you're trying to recurve the tips on a bow with a rounded (or trapped) belly yer askin' fer trouble.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 03:25:13 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 05:08:24 pm »
Thanks everyone. I have seen conflicting info on bending and realy don't know what I am doing. 1 3/16" is a little wide for my tasts but, I was trying to shorten the bow and spread the stress on the back in the hopes it wouldn't break. I also didn't know you could bend after some initial tillering. I am going to try the other end this evening to see what happens. Thanks again.

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 07:35:49 pm »
OK, so I just bent the other end. I boiled it again for 1hr 5min. Time from H2O to finished was 6sec. and yes is broke. The fracture looks identical to the other end. The next one I will try to do some long string tillering first and then steam. I have a couple more roughed out to start thining and I think I can work below the fractured part (about 1/8"). That leaves me with 3/8" thick to see what kind of poundage I can get out of it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 10:59:38 pm »
 Trey, IMO, I think when you boil wood it is like using boiling water when you are cleaning a muzzleloader. I think it gets so hot internaly that it dries the wood too fast and doesn't hold the moist heat long enough.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?