Author Topic: Silver Maple as backing?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Silver Maple as backing?
« on: December 21, 2016, 08:30:15 am »
Hi Folks,

This topic came to mind as I'm trying to decide what I want to back and ERC bow with. I know Silver Maple isn't a great bow wood, but how about as a backing? I've read that it fails in compression rather than tension. It's lighter that hard maple and I've got a ton of clear and straight saplings on my property.

Thanks
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Silver Maple as backing?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 12:12:15 pm »
Never used it, but my gut tells me its junk bow wood all the way around.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 01:16:38 pm »
Silver Maple has the same modulus of rupture as ERC. Red Maple on the other hand is substantially stronger. Sure you don't have Red Maple?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 01:20:02 pm »
Isn't silver maple the same thing as sycamore maple, if so then no not a backer
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 01:35:58 pm »
Silver maple isn't the same as sycamore, bub. But Id guess the properties are about the same. From what I have read, sugar or rock maple is the only maple a fella wants to mess with in bow building.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 02:20:32 pm »
Silver maple isn't the same as sycamore, bub. But Id guess the properties are about the same. From what I have read, sugar or rock maple is the only maple a fella wants to mess with in bow building.

Ever hear of Vine Maple, Pearlie?   ;)

You can look through the properties of the various Maples on the wood database.  http://www.wood-database.com/
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:24:01 pm by PatM »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 02:36:55 pm »
Sure have! Ooops. Where I come from its hard to put it in the maple family. Its superior to any maple we have around here.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 05:57:53 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm going with white ash.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 07:54:21 pm »

Out here the locals call sycamore silver maple too, but i still think it is just as bad a bow wood either way
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:02:29 pm by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 08:22:59 pm »
Remember there is American Sycamore and Sycamore Maple (an imported European species). Two completely different and unrelated trees.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 01:37:35 pm »
Never used it, but my gut tells me its junk bow wood all the way around.

Yes.  I messed around with it once, because I had some from a tree I trimmed.  It acts like cottonwood, basically, and it was very poor in tension.  I wouldn't bother.