Author Topic: Water proof hide glue  (Read 4156 times)

Offline kiwijim

Water proof hide glue
« on: December 12, 2016, 08:17:29 pm »
Hey guys,
I recently read that adding 1-2% aluminium sulphate (by dry weight) to hide glue makes it water proof. Has anybody had any experience with this?

Regards
James

Offline PatM

Re: Water proof hide glue
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 09:56:44 pm »
Making hide glue waterproof is over rated. We have many methods of keeping glue as dry as we need to with various methods.

I have tried this though and it made what can only be described as nuclear boogers form in the glue.  Tenacious viscous blobs that clung to the pot and the wooden stick I stirred it with.. Must have added too much but it made the glue totally unworkable and  it wouldn't even wash out of the pot. I had to throw everything out.

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 02:01:55 am »
Cheers for that!
I now know why the document said to use a disposable container. Often I have found the idea of making waterproof hideglue appealing but every time I looked at a recipe something important is lost in the process. To be honest I've found hideglue very moisture resistant, but I'm always on the lookout for improvements.

Regards
James

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 01:31:56 pm »
if you have ever tried to get the backing off a bow by soaking it in water,, you realize it is pretty water resistant,,

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 05:23:46 pm »
its not an issue for bow making to make hide glue waterproof......just seal the finnished bow
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......