Author Topic: Black locust green ring?  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Black locust green ring?
« on: November 29, 2016, 12:08:44 pm »
Just curious if any one has had luck using the green ring on black locust as the back. I was chasing a ring and hit the black early growth ring in this stave that is the darkest I think I've came across so far. Under that ring was a solid late growth that's an avocado green. So I started to chase it instead of the ring under it. It's holding the green down the entire stave. I just want some opinions on this ring before I continue. It's not a very thick ring, but black locust is so tension strong I think it'll be fine. So what do you all think? I've got another stave to chase a ring on that I can work on while I wait for some opinions. I'm making a pair of reflex deflex bows for a friend and her boyfriend. She wants one for him for Christmas, but she doesn't have a bow for hersel. So why not throw in an extra.

And the end shot is the ring chased, I'd prefer the next ring down. But I'll lose the color of I do.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Black locust green ring?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 12:12:29 pm »
And another showin the colors a bit better.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 12:20:52 pm »
I don't know about Locust but any time I've found a nice color in wood it turns to brown by the next day :(

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 12:34:27 pm »
I guess that means I'll have to get it done today then. Well, I'd try to if work didn't get in the way this evening. But I finished chasing the ring and the green fades out on the last inch on each end of the stave and the side 1/4". So I'm guessing Itll do like you said happened and it'll jut fade into its normal color. That'll be disappointing to see happen.

Kyle

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 12:50:59 pm »
I cut a black locust tree that has colors similar to that with streaks of black.  I haven't made a bow out of it yet.  It's still drying.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 12:51:38 pm »
 Pacific Crab has really nice blood red stripes in it when it's fresh, the next day it's dreary old brown. Bummer :D

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 04:41:31 pm »
That's a nice peace of BL you have there
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline JonW

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 06:02:45 pm »
Kyle I have run into that before. In the end it's pretty much what DC said. It turns a real nice dark brown though.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 11:05:02 am »
As long as it turns out a different color than what it would typically turn, then I'm ok with that. I think I'll just stick with this ring and see how it turns out. I'm not going to be pushing this one very hard anyway. 30" limbs 1 1/2" wide pyramid going for 50# at 29" reflex deflex.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 02:56:07 pm »
Had often colors like you on BL, mostly the first heart wood ring shows intensive greenish color
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 05:13:05 pm »
Should be ok to leave the green ring on, some of the older-timers talk of leaving a couple rings of sapwood on a locust bow.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 07:54:43 pm »
if you are crazy bout the green ,,, put some leather dye on it,, it will stay green,, :)