Author Topic: how much sinew will a tendon yield, by weight  (Read 4877 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: how much sinew will a tendon yield, by weight
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 06:06:05 pm »
I am lucky enough to get elk leg sinews 20-25" long. Each leg sinew yields between 25 and 35 grams of processed sinew. between 1 and 3 will back a bow with perfect long 20+" bundles. I just finished backing a 47" bighorn bow. 3 applications over 3 weeks. 142.5 grams. Over 5 ounces on this bow. Some smaller deer leg tendons will only yield 5 grams or so.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 07:19:26 pm »
What do folks use for pounding? First I used a hammer on the side of a sledge and that resulted in broken strands (too much trauma?). Then I tried rocks and got better results, but the fibers still don't keep their length, they usually break apart some when running them through my thumb nail and forefinger. Should I just go more slowly and carefully?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 07:39:23 pm »
pound the sinew on a piece of wood,,, and go more slowly,, :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 10:36:56 am »
+1 what Brad said.For my longer strands of sinew as a final layer I'll use buffalo or even cow backstrap sinew 2' long or more.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 06:16:05 pm »
I'll try it. Thanks
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 07:16:19 pm »
You can lightly pound it on a smooth log(on the side) and then soak it and it will pull apart very easily without breaking. People break down and crush sinew way more than is necessary. Over-shred it too.