Author Topic: Cat Walk  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Cat Walk
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 07:52:47 pm »
Don never could fiqure out people cutting the throat on a dead animal , heart is not pumping so it's not going to bleed out anymore than if ya open up chest cavity,  Taxidermist just love it :o  Bob

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 08:21:18 pm »
Congrats Don, fine eating deer.

I was shown to cut the throat when I first started hunting. I was told to bleed them out and they taste better. I think that is a carry over from hog butchering in the old days. They would shot them in the head and immediately hoist them and cut the throat to bleed them before removing the entrails. Not sure if it helps a deer or not but I no longer do it and doesn't seem to change the flavor, but I gut mine immediately.  I think getting the meat cooled quickly is more important to the flavor.

Venison and an occasional bison cut is all the wife and I eat in red meat. Good stuff!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 10:00:44 pm »
If you cut jugular on a fresh killed animal especially if hung from rear legs believe me you get more than a little blood, it gushes out. Not really sure if it effects taste but it's the way we always prepared our animals. A deer that has been shot with a bow with a clean shot is probably not going to have much blood left. Like I said before didn't know it was a northern thing just though everybody did it
Bjrogg
Oh by the way Zuma nice deer. Did I tell you that as smart to shot the easy one to drag, oh yah I guess I did
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 04:14:53 am »
That is what I always figured also Bob. :)We do it with hogs but the are shot in the head with a 22 and before heart stops [just brain dead] we cut the juggler and man do the spew. :o  Also lots of folks around here cut the tarsal glans off the hind legs, never seen any reason for doing that either, the critter is dead, nothing pumping.  ;) Like a lot of things in this world, to each there own and if it make them happy then go for it. Could be right could be wrong or could make no difference at all. Anyway nice deer for sure and that will be some fine eating.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Zuma

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 12:03:02 pm »
Thanks Gents

" Also lots of folks around here cut the tarsal glans off the hind legs, never seen any reason for doing that either, the critter is dead, nothing pumping. "

LOL I always cut them out. It makes a great place to place a rope for dragin and hangin.
Also if you have ever gutted a rabbit you know how that gas etc. can get right into your system.
PEE U
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.