Author Topic: Midlimb twist in one limb making it hard to brace  (Read 2957 times)

Offline DC

Re: Midlimb twist in one limb making it hard to brace
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 12:17:39 pm »
I can barely see some twist in one small area on one limb in the unbraced profile.  But it is hardly distinguishable, causing me to go back to it study it many times over to figure out where it is twisting and if I can actually get the twist out with heat

I've had a couple of bows that looked like the string alignment was perfect when they were unbraced. When they were braced the alignment was out. I steam bent the handle to bring them into alignment and they've been fine ever since. The bow just wanted to bend in a different direction than I thought it did. This is one reason for not shaping the handle until you have it braced.

cool_98_555

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 01:15:32 pm »
I just don't like the way it starts to twist in my hand when trying to brace it.  Should I just try to get it braced anyway and not worry about how the twist is rolling over the limb when trying to brace it and then just see what happens after brace?  This is one of those bows that looks like the twist is so minimal it shouldn't even make as much of a difference as it is right now, but it just feels weird when trying to brace it up, suggesting something is wrong.  I've studied this bow from every angle and tried to look at it in different ways but I can't put my finger on why it's deciding to move on me....limbs are even thickness, twist is very very minimal, almost indistinguishable....doesn't make sense to me.  Maybe when it's braced it will look different?  I don't know...

Thanks for all the advice so far everybody...

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 01:57:02 pm »
As long as the tiller is good I would brace it and see what it wants :D

cool_98_555

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 08:40:42 pm »
I actually got it braced a couple inches, but the string is off center by about 1/4".  I looked down the bow, and the twist is so minimal that it is nothing to worry about.  I think I have to heat the limb tip on one limb that isn't straight to get the string aligned first.  This bow has been pretty stubborn when I have tried to heat it before, however.  Perhaps because it has been seasoned for 4 years....I don't know.  Anyway, wish me luck!  Excited about this bow.

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 09:00:07 pm »
If it's only out 1/4" just leave it until further into the tillering. It may move around. If mine are out 1/4" I make the top limb the one that puts the narrow side on the arrow side ;D ;D