Author Topic: Where to find snake skins?  (Read 1803 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Where to find snake skins?
« on: November 11, 2016, 04:01:42 pm »
I've seen so many beautiful bows here with snake skins. I'd love to try them, but they're just too expensive. Other than 3 Rivers and ebay, does anyone know of a source with good prices? I realize this is a long shot.

Thanks

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Cloudfeather

Re: Where to find snake skins?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 04:03:23 pm »
I would check facebook pages centered around bow building, primitive archery, trad archery, etc. You're usually looking at about a dollar an inch for quality skins. Unless you get lucky and have people who can find you road kill or other sources, it's usually a pricey endeavor.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 04:20:11 pm »
Sounds about right. Thanks ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 04:28:32 pm »
I've always gotten mine in trade from the good people on PA.
Make an offering on the trading post

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 04:37:55 pm »
Just did. I've got a bunch of bows in the basement my wife wants me to do something with.  ::) Thanks WG

Nigerian Proverb

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 03:53:13 am »
On a snake :) :)
I've been to my local reptile/snake petshop and asked them if any snakes ever die before being sold to give me a call.....I got some very funny looks.....

Limbit

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 07:53:27 am »
I get mine off the road. I live right by an old graveyard and drive through it daily. At the right time of year, I can score Oriental Rat Snakes, Cobras and banded kraits nearly one a week. A lot of time the skin will have a minor tear where everything came out, but besides that, they work and look good, just have trouble preserving them in the climate where I live. The neighbours eat the meat in rice wine soup after I skin it. Never gotten used to that, but they love it.  ;)

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 09:05:02 am »
Mike, that's hilarious. It's worth a try though!

Limbit, I'll be keeping my eyes on the road. Probably won't find any cobra's here in NY  ;)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 01:16:00 pm »
I'll bet there's a cobra loose somewhere in New York ;D ;D

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 03:55:41 pm »
Probably in some dark alley in NYC.  ;D

Nigerian Proverb