Author Topic: Local leather sources?  (Read 4798 times)

Offline Ippus

Local leather sources?
« on: October 08, 2016, 04:19:58 pm »
Not completely sure this is the right board for this, but how do you all get hold of leather for accessories (rawhide, buckskin, etc) if you haven't managed to kill your own yet?

I'm talking about braintan for making a quiver or rawhide for a primitive fletching jig or something for shooting tabs. Do local craft stores tend to carry that sort of thing? Fabric shops? Shoe repair places? Or do you typically trade for it with other enthusiasts, like on here?

Appreciate anybody pointing me in the right direction.
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Local leather sources?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 05:51:26 pm »
I trade for or buy the leather I need and usually trade for deer rawhide or make my own. Companies like Moscow Hide and Fur, Crazy Crow(both PA sponsors) or others that advertise in PA Magazine and here on this website are good places to buy leathers and rawhide.
 You can also find leather in the way of old jackets, furniture or leather bags in thrift shops and garage sales. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ippus

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 06:40:42 pm »
Thanks!
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 06:18:49 pm »
Check out upholstery shops too. I have a lady who not only refinished my lazyboy with camo fabric, but she also saves her leather scraps for me in exchange for some wild game and fish.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 12:26:08 pm »
I just happened to run across a local glove manufacture that sales scrap leather of several colors and thickness for a buck a pound. 
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 10:28:34 pm »
I got a big bag full once from a guy who reupholsters furniture out of his house. He had garbage bags full of leather scraps of every color...

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 09:20:29 am »
Brain tanned you will have to trade for or go to a primitive show to buy and it is not cheap. Lots of work involved in making a brain tanned hide.  Michigan has a primitive show in Kalamazoo in March and a guy there sells very nice brain tanned hides.

Hobby stores have very small packages of leather and they are pricey as well. You will stumble on to some leather at yard sales. I bought a very large plastic storage container of leather for $5.00 last year.

I would post on this thread, trading post, what you can make for trades for some leather.  Many talented people on this site and I am sure you can make a good trade.

JacksonCash

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 01:23:13 pm »
Check out upholstery shops too. I have a lady who not only refinished my lazyboy with camo fabric, but she also saves her leather scraps for me in exchange for some wild game and fish.
How do you ever find the thing to sit and relax in it?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 10:53:53 am »
How do you ever find the thing to sit and relax in it?

Just look for the cat.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 07:31:00 pm »
It would be hard to find if it were in the yard, but it stands out pretty good in the living room.  My wife has a photo of me in full camo sawing logs in the chair after a hunting trip. The cat was on my lap at the time, but he's black so he blends in pretty good too.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 02:19:18 pm »
Ippus, I've been know to pick up leather at a local leather store in Nashville, Indiana I drive past most week days and send it to folks on here. I usually get a little something in return besides the payment for the leather, i.e. a knife, some rock, some feathers, small stuff like that. Hit me up if you're interested. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)