Author Topic: question about thumb rings  (Read 4141 times)

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
question about thumb rings
« on: September 24, 2016, 11:51:18 pm »
can anyone show me how to attach a loop properly for shooting with a thumb ring?

apologies if this is in the wrong section...
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline loon

Re: question about thumb rings
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 01:44:30 am »
probably the shooting and hunting...

you mean this kind of wrist strap? I haven't had success trying to do this by tying into the ring itself.. it doesn't seem like it'd actually do anything.. but it seems to have been useful for other people

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 04:21:42 pm by loon »

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 03:13:03 am »
can anyone show me how to attach a loop properly for shooting with a thumb ring?

apologies if this is in the wrong section...

That is a compound 'trick'. Forget the loop as it will just shorten your drawlength. Your ring should go directly on the string.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 06:45:31 am »
Check out fiddler's posts. He shows how he does it. His draw is still very long despite the loss of draw length due to the loop.

Offline paco664

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 10:48:28 am »
thank you gentlemen...

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 11:03:11 am »
Here is the article on primitiveways.
http://www.primitiveways.com/archer's_thumb_ring.html

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 11:23:55 am »
 It looks like the thumb would interfere with the string on release using a loop, obviously it works but it doesn't look right to me.

Offline paco664

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 03:35:46 pm »
It looks like the thumb would interfere with the string on release using a loop, obviously it works but it doesn't look right to me.
i made a thumb ring of PVC *(boooooo hissssss) and found Fiddlers explanation of how to make a proper loop.... went bowfishing for a bit *(couldn't see anything for water clarity and rain) but took several shots at floating lily pad's and leaves...   

if anything my accuracy is improved and i too worried about thumb interference but had no issues...

my TD recurve is rated at 57# @ 28 and i draw 29-30 and i had no problem pulling and holding as long as i felt like it...

my ring need tweaking but overall i think it's a winner

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 02:16:37 am »

Pat it may work but what is the point? Ever see any of the historic thumbring users using an extra loop? Just because one guy has long arms can you explain to me why my point about drawlength isn't correct? I think you might find that he would be drawing further and using a more efficient bow if he didn't use the loop ;)

Offline paco664

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 02:32:59 am »
IMHO... what i noticed upon using the thumb ring is it's much much easier to draw and hold the bow... and i'm still drawing the same length to the same anchor fault...

give it a try... i personally like it and see potential in continuing with it..

i don't however see me trying it without the loop... i think that would cause issues with arrow flight...

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 06:47:50 am »

Pat it may work but what is the point? Ever see any of the historic thumbring users using an extra loop? Just because one guy has long arms can you explain to me why my point about drawlength isn't correct? I think you might find that he would be drawing further and using a more efficient bow if he didn't use the loop ;)

Because he wants to do it and he's allowed to try. I never saw a historic thumb ring user try an extra loop but that has zero bearing on this. Maybe they would have liked it.

His draw could be as long or longer than his current three finger draw which is enough for the bow he's using.

Many people trying this like the cleaner release  and the ability to use a thumb ring without having to switch the arrow to the other side.

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 07:17:45 am »
One could just have the draw hand further back and draw as much as the bow can take. Average people can probably draw beyond 33" with thumb draw if they draw to around the shoulder.. of course one would need a different anchor.
I'm still having trouble having a clean release with thumb draw the normal way, arrow on the thumb side of the bow hand

You could just look up how to attach a D loop to a wheelie bow :P and do the same thing, but bigger
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 07:24:16 am by loon »

Offline paco664

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 01:19:12 pm »
One could just have the draw hand further back and draw as much as the bow can take. Average people can probably draw beyond 33" with thumb draw if they draw to around the shoulder.. of course one would need a different anchor.
I'm still having trouble having a clean release with thumb draw the normal way, arrow on the thumb side of the bow hand

You could just look up how to attach a D loop to a wheelie bow :P and do the same thing, but bigger
basically what i did Loon... worked like a charm...

thanks everyone...

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 12:38:32 pm »
I'm kinda with Mike on this one, why? I shoot nothing but thumb ring and one of the advantages are to arrow stability during the draw as your finger holds the arrow against the bow, you lose that advantage with a loop. Not to mention the traditionalist part of me screams "blasphemy!", lol.