Author Topic: Deer and new osage  (Read 5602 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Deer and new osage
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 10:33:29 am »
I'm going to make some more home made camo this fall.  I'm going to try to brake up my outline kind of like how the ASAT camo looks.  My dye job last year faded out after a couple of washes.  I'm going to stitch different shades of fabric on clothes and leave the edges jagged.

If that is your route, why not a ghillie suit?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 11:01:39 am »
I don't want that much loose fabric to get caught on brush or my bow string.  Plus its pretty warm in early bow season.  I would hunt in shorts and a tank top the first couple of weeks if it wasn't for the mosquitos.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 12:14:42 pm »
Yep you guys are all right in breaking up your outline.Being the same mottled shade as your background.My ghillie suit makes me look like a clump of brush.I put a camoed nylon band on my bow arm to suppress the suit so my string does'nt hit it.
In Iowa here we can shoot a turkey too in the fall /hen or tom.
Saw a nice buck yesterday morning in the beans by me....hope he makes a residence here.
I'd have to look up the figures but deer harvest numbers and tags are pretty blame high here too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 08:33:27 pm »
I've always used a pair of camo limb socks on the yellow osage hunting bows the first year until the color mellowed with age.I think glare from a shiny finish on a bow is the most important thing to avoid in the deer woods. I first noticed this several years ago when I saw a few flashes of light moving through the woods while in a tree stand. Saw it about 3 times as it got closer before I realized it was my brother approaching and the glare was from the sun hitting his bow limbs, really stood out too. That being said I had killed 3 deer with that same bow before passing it down to him and the finish was not very glossy at all on it but I had always put some of those limb skins/socks on it when I hunted. He did the same a year or two after I told him what I saw that day and eventually killed a deer himself with that bow. Since then I've always put a satin or dull finish on my hunting bows or used the limb socks.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline loon

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 03:55:57 pm »
Thinking I'd paint it black with tung or linseed oil paint, then wax.. though just oil+shellac+wax is probably enough
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 03:59:33 pm by loon »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 06:08:19 am »
I worry a lot more about the smell of the finish that if they can see it or not.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 02:40:28 pm »
no I dont think the bright yellow scares the deer,, anymore than a natural white limb in the forest,,
that being said,,,, I dont think it hurts to put a snake skin or more neutral finish on a bow,

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 11:37:13 pm »
Don't deer see UV shades better than we do?  I would think a UV receptive wood like BL or osage would be more noticeable especially when fresh. I don't think the wood alone would spook a deer, but it would make any movement of the bow more noticeable if the UV did stand out.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna