Author Topic: I REALLY hate poison ivy...  (Read 2532 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: I REALLY hate poison ivy...
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 01:04:50 am »
  I don't have anything to add for what to do when the itching has already started.....  I watched a video a couple of years ago that some doctor posted on youtube about how to prevent the rash and it has made my time outdoors a lot more enjoyable.  Like Pat said, it has to do with getting the oil off of your skin.  You have to wash like a mechanic would if he were trying to get grease off his hands.  A wash cloth with some abrasive scrubbing is the ticket.  Dawn dishwashing liquid and warm water used vigorously within a few hours of being exposed to the poison will really prevent most of the bad consequences.  Our woods are lousy with poison oak and ivy and I used to manage a couple of bouts of misery a year until I started doing this.  Soap up your rag and wash the hell out of your hands, wrists, between the fingers, back of the forearms, EVERYWHERE that it could have touched you.  Then dry it off.  Wipe it off with a damp clean washcloth.  Hard dry scrubbing like you mean it.  Then a normal hand washing and dry with a clean towel.  I follow this routine after cutting bushes, hanging treestands, etc. and I have never had a breakout after scrubbing in this manner.  If I forget, then I am reminded  :(.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi