Author Topic: Is this a check???  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Arrowbuster

Is this a check???
« on: August 22, 2016, 08:35:25 pm »
Sorry guys,  I had to post this. Its my very first complete failure. Im on my way to making bows. You ain't breaking you aint making right???

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Is this a check???
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 09:23:34 pm »
It's hard to tell from your pictures but that looks like bad grain run off to me.  It looks like you cut a straight bow out of a twisted tree.  But I can't tell for sure.  Could you post some better pictures of it?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 05:08:05 am »
Here is a shot of the belly side, directly opposite of where the back failed. There was a nick in the side of the limb is what I think caused it. It came from where I shaped the limbs with a drawknife. This was an ugly piece of twisted hophornbean. I steamed and corrected and got it pretty straight.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 06:53:54 am »
It is really hard to tell from pictures but I would tend to agree with Osage. It looks like it broke by a grain run off. Are the top two pictures side profile of bow? I think I'm seeing the grain run from belly to back of bow never good, or side to side not sure. Either way what I'm seeing looks like a pretty serious grain runoff. I'm just looking on my phone but that's what I see.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise