Author Topic: question?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Mounter

question?
« on: July 21, 2016, 11:14:29 pm »

Ok I'm trying to dry a couple of Osage stave's fairly quick.(cut early May) one is a thin ringed,thin but wide stave. Other is a thick ringed, but pretty narrow stave. Bout 3 inch's. Given the same exact drying conditions, which do you'all think will be dryer?

I didn't say seasoned, I noticed that's a touchy subject.
I Will get a moisture meter next week for sure, but thought this might be fun. Maybe?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: question?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 11:25:45 pm »
Thinner wood will dry quicker than thick wood. Reduce both staves to floor tiller stage and they will dry quicker still.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mounter

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 11:46:05 pm »
will do. Do you think early or late wood ratio makes much difference?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 03:48:01 am »
Yes. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:37:23 am »
If I feel theres not enough late wood, I leave the stave wider. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Mounter

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 12:32:12 am »
Yes. :)
 Pappy
Thx, I pretty much got the same response from my chocolate Labrador retriever.... Maybe I should have asked, what dry's faster. A stave with a high or low, early to late wood ratio? I thought it might be fun to guess at, but realize it's probably been discussed before.

No matter, picking up a meter tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:41:14 am by Mounter »

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 10:25:38 am »
Sapwood will have a higher starting moisture level but will lose it much quicker so I'd imagine the higher early wood ratio will dry quicker for ya. Thickness of the staves will be your larger factor though, drying time required has an almost exponential relationship to thickness in that one twice as thick as another should take substantially more than twice as long. That's not the same as width though width isn't going to make any difference unless it is narrow as it is thick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 12:22:43 pm »
Early wood is soft and porous, late wood is dense. The more late wood the slower the drying process. IMO.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 04:49:41 pm »
 Buy you a seasoned stave or sapling. And let yours dry naterallly for a year 2 be better. Learning to slow down. That go's along with any part of building a bow. To do it right there's no hurrying. If you do you'll stay warm with fire wood this winter.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING