Author Topic: We got a new hunting deer & elk season in Washington state  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

We got a new hunting deer & elk season in Washington state
« on: July 07, 2016, 11:20:58 am »
As of July 1st 2016, Washington State will allow the harvest of road kill deer and elk. We have to call for a free permit within 24hrs of collection. I've seen a lot of good meat go to waste here and am glad to see the state finally allow us to use the meat instead of letting it go to the bugs. How is it in the State you live. Whats your thoughts. most people say road kill yuck. But I have a FRIEND  ;) that has gotten a few over the yrs and some have less blood shot than most rifle shot deer, others on the other hand were nothing more than a big blood clot. Happy hunting, I'm going to build my bumper up this yr. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline DC

Re: We got a new hunting deer & elk season in Washington state
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:33:31 am »
I'm in BC. I tried to get permission to harvest the sinew from road kill. The way the rep put it was, " The deer belong to the Queen from cradle to grave, and if she doesn't get her cut(license fees) you can't touch it." The road crews collect the corpses and take them to the dump. Any touching by anyone else is a no-no. Stupid. I guess they think people are going to put brush guards on their trunks and try and ram deer. You could use a lot of fuel trying to do that.

PS Don't take "The Queen" literally. Up here it means the country or the gov't.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:53:41 am by DC »

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 12:58:49 pm »
DC that's pretty much how it's been here in the past, I was just joking about building a bigger bumper. I don't really want to hit one, but I wouldn't mind letting someone else hit it for me..lol
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 12:59:04 pm »
In Alberta we can take any road kill with a permit.. Unless it is some kind controlled wildlife '' Bighorn sheep and some raptors''
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 01:09:48 pm »
Legal in Florida, 1-800-roadkil
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 03:23:49 pm »
Can't do it in California but shouldn't suprise anyone
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 04:54:51 am »
I've eatin' many a road-kill over the Years- there's a Major Deer crossing 50 yards from My House. Any more, most People tell the Police that they don't want it - so if it's in edible shape it goes to a soup kitchen. Michigan says it's the car owners Deer, unless they don't want it. Back in the pre-cell phone days, I'd hear the tire screech and the thump at nite, and I go wandering down to see if the People were OK. Usually shook up, if they didn't want the Deer I'd tell to go home and call the Police to make a report and I'd take care of the poor little Deer  O:). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 06:30:49 am »
Ed, instead of beefing up the bumper try a Jeep, more nimble and easier to aim. 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 06:42:29 am »
Legal in Tennessee, don't even need to call. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 08:54:31 am »
Legal in Iowa as far as I know for quite some time now.Get em soon enough there's meat/hide/and sinew for a person.Used to be rendering plants would pick them up but not no more.In the winter bald eagles feed on them and in the summer turkey vultures feed on them and coyotes and stray dogs in between.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed