Author Topic: Bow Stave Shed  (Read 2061 times)

Offline ajooter

Bow Stave Shed
« on: June 08, 2016, 10:05:23 am »

No its not a chicken coop!   ;)  I put a vent at either end to allow some air flow.  im just going to run some 2x4s across the inside about halfway up to make a shelf and still allow air to get up between the staves.  Im gonna put a piece of rolled rubber on the roof and some drip edge to make it water tight.  Probably trim out the doors too.   Do you think i need any more vents?

Offline DC

Re: Bow Stave Shed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 11:27:06 am »
New York is humid isn't it?  I would put in more vents. Invest in a hygrometer and watch it like a hawk for a while, especially when seasons change. When you put green staves in there the RH will go way up.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 11:48:37 am »
Try and position it where the wind will blow through it.
My garage happens to have a huge natural pressure drop so the wind whistles through it. We are on a corner of two rows of houses and it funnels the wind nicely.
I'd go for plenty more ventilation.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 12:33:23 pm »
I would put in more vents and a wire screen behind each vent to keep bugs out.  Watch how hot it gets.  You might bake your staves and cause a lot of drying checks.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ajooter

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 05:33:56 pm »
All valid points guys.  i can put two more vents on each side.  I was thinking about screening the vents as well Clint.  I was also gonna get some kind of spray to hit them with for the bugs.  Whats kinds of insecticide do you guys use if you treat your staves?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 02:09:49 pm »
Maybe a solar fan to keep the air moving through.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 03:31:54 pm »
Maybe a solar fan to keep the air moving through.
Oh yes ,cool idea... gold star and a smiley face for that one  :)
I love solar stuff.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 09:16:05 pm »
It's nice to get organized.You always know where something is supposed to be....lol.That'll hold quite a bit for ya.I'm imagining you'll put prepared and reduced staves for drying in there.Debarked and sapwood removed etc.Coating of something on back and ends too to seal it.Like said a little more ventillation would'nt hurt to balance the temp somewhat.Put a thermometer in there on a hot hot summer day and see what the temp is once.If that rubber is black on the roof it'll get hot in there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 05:35:24 pm »
very cool, been thinkin about doin the same thing.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline ajooter

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 08:52:00 pm »

Added two more vents on each side and trimmed out the doors a little.  Still gotta put the screens on the vents Clint.  I also need to trim out the edge of the rubber roofing with some kind of drip edge as well.  I came home this afternoon and it wasnt terribly warm inside at all and it was 90+ today.  I will get my meter in there to see just how hot it gets.  Anymore suggestions fellas?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 08:59:16 pm »
What if you put vented soffit underneath that overhang in the front.  It would let the heat rise and have a place to escape.  It might draw cooler air in through your vents.  I'm worried its going to get to hot in there and crack your staves.  I wouldn't put any fresh cut staves in there during the summer heat. 

Offline ajooter

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 09:04:42 pm »
I made fitted a peice in solid bit i could notch a section out to fit some kind of vent or soffit in there for sure!  I think that would be the ticket.  Fresh staves debarked with back and ends sealed is a no go?  How long should I wait to put them in there?

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 09:06:37 pm »
I would test it with a scrap stave or offcut or something.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 09:11:05 pm »
I know sometimes I'll have a fresh cut stave check on me when its in my garage.  I would imagine your shed will be a little warmer.  I could be wrong though.  Try it out with a couple and see what happens.  Cutting and splitting staves is a lot of hard work so I try to be extra cautious with them.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 09:16:12 pm »
That is a very cool idea especially with screened in vents.  That one is a little bit on the small side for me though
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com