Author Topic: Tiller help please  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Arrowbuster

Re: Tiller help please
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 08:40:02 pm »
I see what your talking about now Bill I will try that tomorrow, pretty slick idea. I worked on her tonight and it's coming along ok. I had one side of limb with a little more meat and was causing a twist. Think I got that taken care of though. Still 15 pounds heavy I'd guess so I got a little room.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 01:27:59 pm »
Straight-edge is a good way to go about it, provided you're starting with a perfectly straight limb and you want circular tiller on the limb (as opposed to more elliptical).  The gap would need to gradually increase as you slide toward the tip for more elliptical tiller.  You can transition to a credit card (shorter edge) to fine tune.

Another great tool is Eric Krewson's Tillering Gizmo, which you can make in about 15 minutes.  Uses a pencil and leaves marks where you need to scrape :) 

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 07:58:23 pm »
What needs to happen here? I'm thinking work on the fade left side. Or do I give it some relief at right side fade area and get right side outer bending more?

Offline Strichev

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 03:36:18 am »
I would deal with the greatest threat first - that hinge-like spot just out of fade on the right limb.  Of course, wait for more experienced bowyers to chime in, I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 03:47:51 am by Strichev »

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 10:51:39 am »
I agree with Strichev , if I was you I'd start working on the left limb to make it equal to the other and then stop removing wood from the Fades!!
Forget about the fades and scrape off the rest of the non working limb and only BLEND the scrapes in..
Always be careful to not remove too much wood and go past your desired draw weight.
~Isaia

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 12:57:04 pm »
First don't draw this bow very far till you get each limb bending evenly.You can see the set coming on your right limb at rest by the fade already.I would get your right limb bending more mid limb and out.Now it'll be the weaker limb of course and you'll have a lot of positive tiller if that's your upper limb.You should see this even at brace.Put a tape at the fades and midlimb of belly to string to each limb to see this.Remove material from your stiffer limb to even up your tiller and each limb bending evenly.Your gonna lose weight because of your hinge on the right limb.Damage is done.Can't change that.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 01:07:37 pm »
After you get limbs bending evenly I would give the whole bow a heat treatment.Tiller it to your draw length then.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed