Author Topic: Use of TB III for Gluing Hickory Backing on Red Oak  (Read 2409 times)

Offline blindarcher

Use of TB III for Gluing Hickory Backing on Red Oak
« on: June 09, 2016, 08:24:36 pm »
Hello Fellow Bowyers.  I have been using Unibond 800 for backing Hickory and Bamboo on either Red Oak or Ash bows, with varying success.  I have been using TB III for applying handle risers and rawhide backing with 100% success.  My question is: Is TB III good for gluing either Hickory and/or Bamboo backing onto limbs made of Red Oak, Ash, or Osage Orange?

Thanks!

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
Re: Use of TB III for Gluing Hickory Backing on Red Oak
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 08:34:07 pm »
I'm pretty sure TB III is the most widely used glue in Archery and bow crafting so I would say it definitely works for wood backings aswell.
~Isaia

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 08:51:44 pm »
So what problems have you had with unibond
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 09:10:48 pm »
Thanks for the feedback! I am glad to hear that TB III will work.  The issues I have had with Unibond 800 is that it tends to swell and open up gaps even though I have clamped the parts together.  Also, I have popped off handle risers when under compressive bending loads.  I have not had handles pop off when using TB III, and my laminate bonds remain tight and clean.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 09:48:22 pm »
How are you prepping the surfaces, and what do you use for clamping, do you use a drying box?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 10:41:41 pm »
TBII is fine for bow backing. I have made a few hickory backed red oak using TBII and never ha a glue failure. If I'm not mistaken I think TBII is actually stronger than TBIII. With a good finish any of the TB PVA glues will work well for bow backings whether waterproof or just water resistant.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 12:05:08 am »
I've glued up several using tight bond 2 and 3. Tb I I I  seams to work really well with wood backings. I have a red oak with a hickory backing I'm finishing up now. I've noticed for some reason with bamboo and Tb I seam to take extra set but the bond seams to hold nicely.  I don't have much experience with the epoxies bud I am planning a boo backed Osage very soon. I intend to use unibond for that bow.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline GB

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 01:27:17 am »
I've used TB3 for glueing cherry bark backing on a few bows and noticed that the MC level increased.  Then again, I lightly wet the bark with a rag, too.  Another bowyer I know waits 10-14 days after glueing backing strips with TB3 because he noticed the same thing using his moisture meter.  I just put my cherry bark ones in a hot box for a few days.
For bamboo or hickory backings I always use either Smooth On or Unibond.  I've never had one fail.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 03:16:51 am »
TB111 is a great glue - it is however imperative that you have perfect mating surfaces. Yes it raises m.c. because it is water based. No big deal though just wait a bit longer or use a hot box to help speed the cure.
I must have glued up over a couple hundered elbs with tb3 - never had a single problem with it.