Author Topic: Dimensions for a 61" sinew backed yew recurve  (Read 2143 times)

Offline andreax1985

Dimensions for a 61" sinew backed yew recurve
« on: June 02, 2016, 11:33:19 am »
I'm planning to make a 61" sinew backed yew recurve. My draw length is 27.5". Draw weight anything between 50-60#. What is the optimal design for this project? I need in particular the following dimensions:

- tips width
- handle length and width
- fades length and width
- thickness at the tips, fades and handle

I thank you all.

Offline Springbuck

Re: Dimensions for a 61" sinew backed yew recurve
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 12:31:03 pm »
As you probably know, every piece of wood is different, so dimensions are for starting purposes only. 

Also, some of this depends on how large and at what angle your recurves will sit, and it would help to know the width of your stave.

Handle: as short as you can manage, or possibly, since yew bows generally allow a thicker cross section and often crowned bellies, maybe even a bend in the handle bow.  BITH bow isn't a bad idea because of that, and that 61" is none too long for a 27.5" draw length, and that you are losing some limb length to the recurves already.  Narrow handles help and BITH bows have a narrower handle by default.

Fades, as short as you can manage.  If the limbs are only barely wider than the handle they can be pretty abrupt, but if the limbs are wider, make them long enough to guarantee a smooth transition in both planes.

Thickness is what you end up with and partly depends on design and partly just on width. The limbs should retain as much width as possible up to the recurves to prevent instability, but the very tips could be 3/8" x 3/8".

I'd try to rough out maybe 1-1/8" square handle area to start. Obviously, wider limbs can start thinner, but a BITH bow I would rough out tapering back to front to maybe half inch thick tips, and split the difference just out from mid limb.

Remember, bows are only born during tillering, never by formula, but they often DO get ruined during a poor layout and preliminary shaping.  Be conservative and always remember you can't put wood back.

Offline andreax1985

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 12:48:48 pm »
Thanks Springbuck. Maybe it would be better a 62" bow length? But with this length is sinew backing still effective?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 01:05:06 pm »
Have you made many bows? Recurves?
I believe a sinew backing would still be effective at that length, though some will disagree.
I'd recommend a thin backing, maybe 1.5 layers, not too thick.
Its tough to figure out a good recipe for a bow your wanting to make, there's many variables, design is one thing, execution is everything.
If it were me, I'd make the handle 4" long 1 1/8" wide,  with 2-3" long fades. Make your limbs about 1.5" wide and tapering to the tips. Leave your last 12" of each limb about an inch wide for now.
Focus on making your bow nice and balanced, nearly perfect at brace with your recurves lined up good. I'll keep tiller the bow a little further before I add sinew.

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 01:30:36 pm »
I'm currently working on a 60" Yew sinew backed with flpped tips. My handle is 4" extending out 2" with 1 3/4 wide fades parallel out  10" then tapering to 1/2 at the tips. I also heat treated the belly after floor tillering. Its only 30 rings per inch and I took all the sapwood off. The sinew has been on for about a week and it's drying out pretty good. Im going to  tiller it to 65# at 28". I can post some pics tonight if you like.

Offline andreax1985

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 01:44:25 pm »
Thanks Bob, I would really appreciate it! And what is the best cross section? Oval or D shaped?

Up to now I've only made straight black locust bows, I don't have any experience with recurves or yew.

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 02:18:34 pm »
I'm going with a rectangular oval cross section.

Offline andreax1985

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 02:49:51 pm »
How does a rectangular oval section look exactly? Is it symmetric along two orthogonal axes (i.e. the smoothed edges have the same curvature radius along the back and the belly)?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 04:41:03 pm »
this bow is shorter than the one you want to build, but similar
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=56002.0

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 07:24:07 pm »
Something like this.

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 07:25:38 pm »
and this

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 07:29:34 pm »
Here after the sinew, I am keeping the cross section kind of flat and wide because of the weight that I am shooting for 65#@28".

Offline andreax1985

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 02:04:49 am »
Bob, it looks awesome!!! So basically you keep a rectangular cross section with smoothed edges?

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 08:32:58 am »
Yes Andreax, I am just making it a little wider, i will let you know how it turns out, good luck with yours!