Author Topic: Backing  (Read 1973 times)

Offline MXer

Backing
« on: May 28, 2016, 05:54:15 pm »
Is a snake skin strong enough to be used for backing a Juniper bow?  Or, should I use rawhide with snake skin over that?

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Backing
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 06:00:35 pm »
I would back it with something that will help with the tension. Thin snake skins are purely ornamental. Rawhide will hold down splinters but doesn't do a lot to help with tension resistance. Sinew would be my choice, then snake skins over that.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline MXer

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 06:17:06 pm »
I kind of figured.  They aren't very strong.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 07:25:43 pm »
Boa and python skins are strong enough to be a backing but most snake skins are only decorative.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MXer

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 08:32:05 pm »
Do I have to wrap the bow when applying sinew or can it just lay on it's own and still have good tension?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 05:23:14 am »
I have only made 2 sinew bows I pretty much followed Jim Hamms method in TBB  that didn't  use wrapping and they turned out great ,another option is Flax that I'm getting ready to try on another bow this fall.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 11:29:44 am »
Wrapping a sinew bow will compress the sinew for a neater application. It's probably not necessary but I prefer to do so.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 01:59:50 am »
You can get them very 'neat' without wrapping. It was never done like that in the past. The trick is practise and patience and preparation.
Sinew and juniper is a match made in heaven.