Author Topic: How to care for HHB  (Read 3109 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
How to care for HHB
« on: May 04, 2016, 11:07:10 am »
Last Saturday just before my grandsons birthday I had just enough time to check my trail camera and a quick recon. Don't know how I missed it before but found some really nice HHB. 2 of them have the roots washed out and are leaning almost horizontal so when I get a chance I want to harvest them. I was told when I harvested some this winter to split seal ends and leave bark on. Would procedure be the same now or a month from now. Buds are just starting to open on some trees here now not sure about the HHB it wasn't Saturday
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to care for HHB
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 11:37:41 am »
If you can wait for the leaves to come out the bark will slip, leaving a pristine back for your bow. Split the HHB, seal the ends and back and set it aside to dry. The bark may slip now but You'd have to do a test to be sure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:45:42 am »
Thanks Pat does that mean cambium layer will come off too? I can sure wait Wal busy now.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 11:56:45 am »
Yes, the bark and cambium will come off and you'll have a pristine back for your bow
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 12:00:16 pm »
Wow thanks Pat I'll be waiting then. For some reason I thought I saw that you should harvest in winter when growth rings are full and sap is low.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 01:08:56 pm »
I cut a HHB tree last week and the bark peeled right off.  It was soaking wet underneath.  I waited a few hours and then sprayed them with lacquer.  A few hours later I coated them with polyurethane.  I plan on coating them again.  HHB can check easily. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 01:12:25 pm »
Thanks guys so the back could be stained and varnished right away then right?

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 03:03:47 pm »
No, not as your final finish. The wood has to shrink. Rather than deal with checking problems I prefer to just wait a bit before peeling the bark. That saves the bother of having stuff dried to the back that likely has to still be removed before finishing the bow.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 03:29:24 pm »
Using you method Pat M does the bark and cambium still slip off later? In a climate controlled area how long do you wait till you remove?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 04:40:20 pm »
I've left the bark on and had to scrape that off later like Pat recommends.  Having done it both ways I would rather sand off a thin coat of polyurethane than scrape and sand the bark and cambium layer.  That's just the way I like to do it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 04:47:35 pm »
Thanks as they say more than one way to skin a cat. I'm thinking I'll try it your way it won't dry real fast where it'll be maybe that'll help with the checking

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 06:04:37 pm »
 It still peels right off, it just isn't sopping wet.  If you leave it until dry it will also pop off when you bend it, no scraping required.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 06:07:22 pm »
Thanks Pat might have to try some both ways

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 06:55:52 pm »
I'm also obsessive about not even slightly violating outer growth rings so any sanding or scraping of a sealing finish is out.  I normally use a spoon to push off inner bark and cambium of wood cut in the non-growing season.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 07:03:18 pm »
Thanks Pat I appreciate the advice my phones almost dead and I got a few more hours in this tractor yet tonight if I don't reply right away you guys will know why