Author Topic: Follow up and new arrow with tanged broadhead  (Read 5773 times)

Offline DC

Re: Follow up and new arrow with tanged broadhead
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 05:00:47 pm »
I'm looking at these marks

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 05:08:35 pm »
Those are the ones I think the arrow has been causing. Were you saying you think it's the knot that's causing the cracks on the edge?

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 05:10:28 pm »
The picture doesn't show it but they're only on the side that the arrow shoots off of.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 05:15:45 pm »
Not necessarily. I was just noticing that if you extend them they aim at that knot. I don't really believe in coincidences. And they weren't there before?  They look like rays to me but I'm not there. What kind of wood is the bow?

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 05:19:47 pm »
I'm guessing now. I don't see any fade, is it a bend in the handle bow?

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 05:25:27 pm »
I went and looked at the original thread. So it's a hickory D bow. Is it possible that those are stress marks and it's nothing to do with the arrows? If that knot is right at your arrow pass area there is a lot of stress so maybe??

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 06:10:04 pm »
DC thanks for the Input.That makes sense that it might have nothing to do with the arrow. They arw only on the arrow side but that could be a coincidence. Do you think I should just keep shooting and wait and see? I don't want to damage irreparably damage the  bow as it shoots pretty well now.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 06:28:09 pm »
I've never had anything to do with hickory, I may have had a shovel with a hickory handle but you better wait for someone else for that advice. That said, if you don't shoot it, it might as well be broken.

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 06:57:42 pm »
Thanks DC, I'm going to try out some other arrows as well. I guess it will remain a mystery and I'll keep shooting and see what happens with my next one!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 03:10:36 am »

You might want to reinforce that section of your bow.  I was thinking the same thing that the arrow had nothing to do with the cracks, as I don't see how it would be able to crack the wood, and not have any damage to the arrow.  But like I said it could be grain run off, or like DC said, cracks radiating out from the knot.  But a little reinforcing patch on the back, and around the knot, or even some super glue.  Or Gasp..... Fg cloth, and epoxy, sanded smooth, and it will be clear, and look normal.  But it would be a good safety in case it suddenly decides to go to the dark side of the force......If you want to stay strictly primitive, you could use a very thin piece of raw hide, and hide glue, but it would be a good safety precaution, either way.  You can fill in the knot with epoxy, or super glue.  There are a lot of ways to repair, or stop a failure from happening.  Some one with a whole lot more knowledge about such things,than I have, on here can help you with that.  It is just what I would do.  But I am not a bowyer, so it would just my guess as to how to go about it.
                                    Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 07:30:35 am »
I have to agree with DC. I think your bow is cracking from drawing the arrow not the arrow slapping the side. I think eventually it will crack to the knot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 08:05:59 am »
Ok thanks guys, that's disappointing but good to know. I'm going to at least patch it, maybe rawhide back it so it doesn't explode dramatically if it fails. At least then that means that my arrows are ok! Thanks for the help everyone, i appreciate you taking the time to help me clear this up.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 11:34:46 am »
You could put a sinew wrap on it also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 12:14:08 pm »
Looks like crysals (sp), with the knot I bet its stiff and pressured. Wrap it Sinew and hope for the best. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 02:57:07 pm »
Thanks, I have plenty of sinew, I'll definitely do that! Bob, When you say it's stiff and pressured do you mean the handle isn't bending enough? I thought it was best to leave knots a little stiff when Tillering?