Author Topic: Heat treating arrow shafts to increase stiffness  (Read 3445 times)

Offline arachnid

Heat treating arrow shafts to increase stiffness
« on: April 12, 2016, 04:49:03 am »
Hi guys.

I have beech dowels that I use as shafts.
Can I heat treat it to make it stiffer?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heat treating arrow shafts to increase stiffness
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 07:31:34 am »
It's not a general practice but it might raise the spine weight a little.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 01:32:03 pm »
I've heat treated white  pine. I think it makes them tougher but I've never seen an increase in spine. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 01:39:22 pm »
I tried with an Ocean Spray shaft and it didn't make a measurable difference. Like Jawge says, it may make them tougher but if you over do it it may make them brittle. I don't bother. Actually they probably get enough heat from straightening.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 01:43:10 pm »
I am not an arrow expert but I would say that if it's not been kiln dried then heat straightening would be valuable

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 02:55:17 pm »
 don't think kiln drying adversely affects wood, for bows or arrows. Its just another way of drying wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 03:18:42 pm »
Agreed, my point is that if it has not been dried then drying it would be helpful lol

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 03:24:08 pm »
Most woods are not going to get down to 8% over time unless subjected to heat from a kiln, flame, hot box whatever to get that moisture moving to the surface, but perhaps my point was mute

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 09:08:20 pm »
  There's no better way than letting them season on there own. Just like a bow stave you let to wood'shoot you let it tell you when their times up.

I like to size, straighten but into bundles of 15. I leave the bark on first time. Leaving the bark on for a few months makes sure it seasons evenly. Which helps down the line with keeping your shot straight.

I Wait a couple a few months,their stored in a barn. I have no timing really when I have the time. I debark this second straightening,rasp out some of the bigger knots and kinks. Then I re straighten, re bundle. I always have 10'15 bundles right now I have 19 bundles seasoning but 3 bundles ain't mine.

Oldest are about 35 dog wood shoots that's been straighten 3 times and seasoning for 8 years. Sometimes if there extra nice I do a third straightening after a couple years.

I see arrows posted all the time. I know most are made with shoots only a couple months old.

Done this way when you do have to use them. Their already 3/4's done When you do put that findle finish on your well seasoned arrows. It's a well seasoned arrow that stays straight as long as you have it. And for you all that have to know your spines. When your finished your arrows the spine will never change.

I have arrows right now that were made 4 and 5 years back. You know dog woods tuff if I still have arrows that old. Still straight enough to shoot
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING