Author Topic: new atlatl  (Read 4008 times)

Offline bubby

new atlatl
« on: April 17, 2016, 11:47:56 pm »
 I made this atlatl today, had a dry branch of privet i think and split it then drawknifed it flat. Carved out the tip with my flex shaft, torched the top and on the back side i left some cadmium she really throws well

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Tracker0721

Re: new atlatl
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 01:19:42 am »
I need to build one, that looks cool! The Cambium was a good idea. Met a guy who was telling me a bunch of university students attend the glass buttes knappin one year and did a test to figure out what length dart to atlatl would throw the farthest, they found across the board that using a atlatl the length of elbow to hand matched with a dart 3.14 times that length flew the farthest every time. Musta been a fun test, worth trying those dimensions too!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 05:03:46 am »
Looks good Bub ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:44:34 am »
Nice work Bubby. That privet can be hard stuff.
 You look different than I imagined!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 11:02:58 am »
Nice work Bubby. That privet can be hard stuff.
 You look different than I imagined!  ;D

Lol Pat sometimes it pays to pretty up the pics😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 11:11:10 am »
 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 11:16:44 am »
I need to build one, that looks cool! The Cambium was a good idea. Met a guy who was telling me a bunch of university students attend the glass buttes knappin one year and did a test to figure out what length dart to atlatl would throw the farthest, they found across the board that using a atlatl the length of elbow to hand matched with a dart 3.14 times that length flew the farthest every time. Musta been a fun test, worth trying those dimensions too!

Pi shows up in the weirdest places ??? ???

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 07:06:24 pm »
using a atlatl the length of elbow to hand matched with a dart 3.14 times that length flew the farthest every time.

Is that the tip of the finger to elbow or the wrist to elbow?....I just made one myself and was wondering what would work best.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 12:47:24 am »
That was my question! The guy couldn't remember but I'd guess the center of the Palm. Why? Cause it kinda makes sense in my mind since that'd be the distance from the atlatl to elbow
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 01:12:42 pm »
Pi shows up in the weirdest places ??? ???

I was thinking that too...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 01:23:34 pm »
i was too, DC, Lucasade. I'd think the measurement would be to the hand/wrist, since the wrist is active when throwing it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 04:30:21 pm »

Cool!  Uh ...... Bubby, I would lay off the soy products, as they contain, a Phyto estrogen.  Uh, have you looked at yourself in a mirror lately?  Try a side view ......  Just saying.  But nice atlatl, and good info.

Wayne

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 05:29:58 pm »
Snicker snicker :)