Author Topic: boo/cane ?????????????  (Read 4456 times)

Shooter_G22

boo/cane ?????????????
« on: January 21, 2009, 02:15:20 am »
ok people,

i have a question here that i have been wanting to ask but felt silly asking it...   sooo here is a silly question :P

what is the differance between bamboo and river cane and tonking?????????   can anybody show pictures explaining the differance pics of shoot and pics of plant....   

the reason i ask is i have been harvesting some bamboo or at lest what i think is bamboo... but i have noticed onthe stuff i got here form two differant locations... two differant hony hole spots where i cnget it...  the plant is the same...   but the shoots that were sent to me from madcrow a while back are differant his  were more round and the ones i have here the shaft between the nods are round but then have sort of a flat-side on them and then its oposite on the next nod the flat side is on the oposite side...    this doesnt effect the shoot to turn into a good arrow becuse i hae been making some decant arrows from these shafts and i like them jsut fine and even a little more soo... but why are they differant and is what i have not bamboo and is actually something else???????    this is why i ask question above... can somebody help out with this please...

thanks in advance....
 ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: boo/cane ?????????????
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:13:02 am »
Short answer: they're all bamboo, even our native cane. "Bamboo" is a catch-all term like "tree"-most woody grasses are classified as bamboos, but there are probably hundreds of species of bamboo. Different species of bamboo can range in size from tiny plants a few inches high up to timber bamboos that are 50-60 feet tall and have culms several inches in diameter. Here in the US, we have three native bamboos: river cane, switch cane, and hill cane. We also have a lot of introduced species that have naturalized, plus scads of them that are planted as ornamentals in landscapes. Here in my area, Chinese golden bamboo can be found growing all over the place. Some of the better ones for arrows are our native canes, tonkin cane, Japanese arrow bamboo, some of the Sasa bamboos, and some of the bambusas. Some of these (like switch cane, hill cane, tonkin, and Japanese arrow bamboo) are mostly round without much of the flat areas behingd the nodes (sulcate culms). River cane is more sulcate, but you can find round river cane if you are picky cutting it-get stems from thick patches that don't have many low branches, and use the section of the stem between the ground and the first branches. The Chinese golden bamboo (fishpole bamboo) that is so common around here is really flat behind the nodes, so it's harder to make good arrow shafts from it. There's also a lot of difference in wall thickness of the stems on different bamboos, or different ages or different patches of the same species. You can google "river cane" "tonkin cane," etc. and find a lot of info and photos.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 10:52:31 am »
I tried some of the chineses golden boo.  It worked for atlatl darts, and wall hanger arrows.  I tried heating and compacting the nodes, but they were still too big, so I scraped them.  Then they were too weak for arrows.  I fixed a couple dozen and had them looking good, but when I checked the spine, the two pound weight would either crack them or break them.  After that, I started trading for my boo.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 11:18:35 am »
When working with boo, no matter which specie, you have to use mature culms. After the second years growth season is the best from what I have found. If you cut first year culms they will wrinkle when dried but also will be weak in spine because the walls is immature and thin. One more growing season will add wall thickness and the spine will increase.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 02:17:23 pm »
Eddie, I've made a few good arrows from the chinese golden boo, but it's really hard to find good stems, not really worth the time if you can find cane like I can here. The better ones I've made came from a patch growing on a really dry bank, so that the culms were stunted and thick-walled.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 02:32:12 am »
Shooter, I was about to ask a similar question about bamboo and cane.  So if it's a silly question, just put me in the same silly boat.  :D
So here's my extention to shooter's question.  Is this native boo/cane used for backing?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 09:11:14 am »
Hedgeapple, it doesn't usually get to big enough diameters for splitting backing slats from. The biggest native cane I ever heard of was about 3" in diameter, so you could maybe back a narrow ipe bow or something with it. The biggest native cane I've ever seen myself was about an inch in diameter. Most of it here never gets over 1/2"-3/4" diameter.
Smoky Mountains, NC