Author Topic: Elm tiller input request  (Read 1758 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Elm tiller input request
« on: March 13, 2016, 04:17:15 am »
Hi fellas
I'm back again after more help (one of these days I'll hopefully learn to walk on my own two feet!)
I've been working on this highly questionable Elm stave for a good while now and am surprised to see that it might come good.
Its 58" ttt and currently pulling 50#@17" (braced 3"). I don't really know what to do with it now apart from just removing more wood. I am considering getting it to bend through the handle? Any input from you guys would as always be greatly appreciated!  :)
Incidentally im planning to back the bow with hemp fibre as im a little concerned about the back. I really struggled to get the back off and violated the back in a few places.  ::)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline ajooter

Re: Elm tiller input request
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 07:36:48 am »
I'm not sure about the back violations without seeing them abs I have never worked with elm.  Getting the bow to bend thru the handle wI'll definitely help you out.  Your tips are coming around nicely just start working those inner thirds on both limbs down till you get towards the handle.  You want that to flex a little just as your getting to your desired draw length.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 10:12:16 am »
Thanks mate!  The violations in the back could definitely cause me a problem, but I had the feeling it would hold together actually. Anyway i've put a hemp fibre backing on now so hopefully it will be fine
I'll get back to tillering it next weekend when the backings dried out (we're having some lovely sunny spring weather here! :)). As you suggest I'll scrape the inner thirds and then think about geting the handle flexing! Cheers Si
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 10:17:14 am »
sieddy,
     There is a "stiff" spot in the right side limb. It appears in all 3 of your photos and looks like a "depressed whoopty-doo" in the stave......if you can get that protion to bend some I believe that your bend will even out nicely......(I marked your draw picture sorry). It also "appears" that a hinge could be had very easily at the outboard point of the whoopty-doo so keep an eye on that as well.
    I could be all wet here because that is how the pictures look to me but because of shadows and the like I cant be absolutely sure. (how is that for non-committal?) 8)
rich

Offline sieddy

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 11:36:42 am »
Thanks Rich. Any and all input from you sir is most welcome (even if it comes with a disclaimer! ;))
So I could try scraping the spot you indicated whilst being careful to avoid creating a hinge.  :)

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 12:30:00 pm »
Yes sir, but not to aggressively your tiller is not very far off, and those "natural" irritations will fool you sir
rich

Offline sieddy

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 12:56:08 pm »
Thank you kindly. I'll try to tread carefully.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 04:08:17 pm »
This Elm stick didn't hold together after all. Well I knew it was a dodgy peice of wood but I'd started to delude myself that it would be okay and that I'd get a sweet shooting but rough looking bow out of it. Oh well best grab another peice of wood and get back to it!  ::)