Author Topic: Butt splice hickory bow lives. Picture on tiller tree. Advice needed  (Read 2890 times)

Offline make-n-break

Well. It lives at 45@28"... It's currently 66" ttt with temp knocks tied on. I exercised it 200 times at final tiller just to make sure it didn't pop.  It took 1" set on bottom limb and 1-3/8 on top, but the top limb started with about 1/4 inch of deflex. All of the sisal is temporary.

I need to get the weight up. 45 is too light for me. I would like at least 50 but no more than 55 for longevity of my ghetto splice. What do you guys recommend...

-Pike one inch off each end making it 64"?

-a thorough heat treating?

The handle looks ugly as sin with those dowels haha!! Went with 3/16 lam over that mess of a butt splice as a couple fellas recommended.  Thankful for all your wisdom and thankful it's alive so far.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:27:29 pm by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Drewster

Your tiller looks great.  Before I shortened it any at all, I would heat treat.  That should get you five pounds.  Based on the pic, it looks like your ntn is about 64" or 65".  If your draw is 28", I would leave the length alone.  Just my 2¢.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Yep good advice.You could easily pick up 6 to 8 pounds from a heat treatment and a little reflex.Do it evenly on both limbs though.Don't want to change that good tiller.Congrats.
I always got more faith in sinew myself for wrapping.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Looks to me that tiller is pretty darn good but I don't think there any inches left for the draw length. In other words, it is maxed out. Shortening the bow will not help.
Start another bow.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Onebowonder

I love the band you have achieved with this bow!  I'm very glad your cover-up lam worked out well.

Do you have a good reflex caul?  If not, they are pretty easy to build.  I think you could Steam (...careful not to steam the handle) or just use a heat gun to put this bow into a bit of reflex, (...maybe an inch and a half or two) and then heat treat the SNOT out of the belly.  The limbs are hickory, so I'd seal them up right after heat treatment while still hot and then leave it on the caul for extra time to cool down completely.  That should get you the extra pounds you need.

Don't worry about the looks of the handle.  You can cover the whole thing with a nice leather grip if you like and it'll disappear completely. :)

OneBow

Offline Chief RID

Unbelievable MNB. Absolutely a lesson in woodworking. Thanks for taking us along.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Nice looking bend  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
sweet... hell.. you say the handle is ugly... i'd shoot it and be proud of it...
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
In order to gain draw weight by piking you'd need to shorten 2" at each end to get to 55#, just a tad over 1" to get to 50". Heat seems best to me too. And I actually like that handle, with the pegs and all.

Offline Stick Bender

I really like the handle too I think the end grain on the dowels against the long grain on the handle if oiled or stained will really pop off  glad to see it survive & thrive ! 
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline make-n-break

Re: Butt splice hickory bow lives. Picture on tiller tree. Advice needed
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 09:04:06 am »
Thanks everyone. I don't have a reflex form OneBow. I took the advice and gave it a good deep heat treating but kept the straight profile. No piking. I'll touch up the tiller in the next couple days, finish it out and hopefully get some completion pics up this weekend. I'm really hoping everything holds with the new weight gain! I'd love to take a turkey with this one in a couple weeks. I modified my tillering tree with an extra long rope when this project started lol.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 09:07:11 am »
Gluing that piece on the back is certainly what saved it. That looks nice especially with the handle wrap.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 09:54:05 am »
Thanks sleek. I'll get a proper one on there while finishing. That one was just a temp to see what it looked like and lessen the shrapnel during an explosion.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 10:00:38 am »
I doubt it will explode. If it fails it will begin to pull apart and you will notice that, if it happens. I think the odds are good for you though. I would soak the handle wrap in glue when you re do it. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 02:11:13 pm »
Heat treat it back to straight if you can, and flip the tips just an inch or so about 5" or 6 " from the end. In my experience, if you don't go overboard, this will give you the draw weight you need with almost no need to retiller anything.

Putting a full length reflex in is great, too.