Author Topic: Has anyone built a Bhutanese Bow?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Jax666

Has anyone built a Bhutanese Bow?
« on: February 15, 2016, 07:32:28 pm »
The taper starts at the end of the overlap? How do you fit the "belly" of one to the "back" of the other? Does the top need to be the forward piece?
I am thinking of buying some 2"X72" slats that are sold for backing to building a cable backed bow and maybe a Bhutanese just for fun.

Offline loon

Re: Has anyone built a Bhutanese Bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 07:44:32 pm »
I also want to make a nylon cable backed bamboo bow. If I can ever manage to get that bamboo shipped...
I saw this: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/19738

I really think this could be done without the fancy Bhutanese bamboo if you cable back it, which is what I'm planning to do. Could probably do a weaker one with regular thinner bamboo and no cable backing.

Reverse brace, then cable back?  :o

I didn't think of fitting the "belly" to the "back" in the handle area being an issue... or if it matters which is the 'forward' piece. more forward being more towards the back of the bow, right? I see both top and bottom limb being forward in pictures. Maybe it'd be better to have the bottom limb go forward so as to make it easier for the top limb to 'bend' more? Maybe it doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:02:47 pm by loon »

Offline Jax666

Re: Has anyone built a Bhutanese Bow?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 08:07:45 am »
I also want to make a nylon cable backed bamboo bow. If I can ever manage to get that bamboo shipped...

I found a company that  will ship small quantities and hand select for thickness. Most places I would have to order a bunch and sort. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 07:35:41 am by Jax666 »